Professional Translation is one specialisation within the MA in Applied Linguistics and is designed for all graduates interested in becoming professional translators. Our programme provides the tools and academic skills you need to compete – and remain competitive – in the challenging field of multilingual communication. You will learn to translate at a professional level by:
• analysing translation problems
• developing solutions and strategies
• applying appropriate methods and tools
Your professional future
In our globalised world, multilingualism plays an increasingly important role. The need for experts in multilingual communication – and therefore for qualified professional translators – is growing all the time. Professional translators work:
• for specialised language service providers or translation agencies
• as staff translators for major national and international companies
• as freelancers
• for government authorities, foundations, etc.
Your MA programme
Apart from background studies and theory-based courses in linguistics and translation studies, the programme includes practice-oriented courses in:
• specialised translation
• CAT tools and language technology
• rewriting, editing, proof-reading
• translation management
• terminology management and
• professional practice
By taking part in realistic or real-life projects, you learn to use the latest technology, acquire skills in deadline and quality management and gain experience in customer service.
Our international team of lecturers are recognised experts from the academic world and/or professional practice. Our low teacher-student ratio in taught classes is one of our great advantages and allows us to pay close attention to individual needs.
For details please click here: https://www.zhaw.ch/storage/linguistik/studium/master-angewandte-linguistik/factsheet-professional-translation.pdf
Please note that German must be one of the languages you study.
We offer a second MA pathway specialising in Conference Interpreting
(please visit http://www.findamasters.com/search/CourseDetails.aspx?CID=25379
and the following undergraduate programmes:
• BA in Applied Languages with Specialisations in Multilingual Communication, Multimodal Communication and Technical Communication
• BA in Communication with Specialisations in Journalism and Organisational Communication.