The MA in Black Sea Studies (full-time) is a one-year programme comprised of three parts over three semesters. It is taught mainly on weekdays over three-hour teaching periods. The first two semesters cover the core and elective modules of the programme. Each teaching term has 13 teaching weeks followed by a 10-day exam period.
The MA in Black Sea Studies provides specialised education in demanding areas of interest such as Archaeology, History, Ethnography, Historical Geography, Art, Religion, Mythology, Politics, Diplomacy and Economy.
The third period is taken up with work on the Master's dissertation.
The Black Sea region, with its special geophysical and cultural characteristics, is regaining significance as a geopolitical region between Europe and Asia. The important natural resources and the crucial position of the region at the hub of international routes has aroused the interest of many nations over the ages, leading to numerous events of great cultural and historical significance.
The Black Sea region continues to be one of the great international gateways, of considerable importance for Europe as well as for Asia and the East. Over the last decades, research institutions and university departments all over the world have promoted research programmes concentrating on this region of such rich scientific material.
Thus the School of Humanities is launching the “MA in Black Sea Studies”, which is based on an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the history and culture of the Black Sea region. The study and interpretation of the historical and cultural data of this region, an area of increasing geopolitical and economic importance, will provide the student with an outstanding opportunity to specialise in a research domain of such significance in our times.
The Master’s Programme “MA in Black Sea Studies” promotes learning and teaching characterised by a diversity of teaching methods. The programme’s duration is three semesters, of which the first two are taken up with taught modules and the third is dedicated to the master dissertation. The nine taught modules include two core and seven elective modules.
It is addressed to graduates in:
- Humanities,especially; History Archaeology Art history Ethnography and Social Anthropology
- Political Sciences - Economics - International Relations
Our graduates (depending on the stream they choose) will be able to work in:
- Educational and research institutes and academies all over the world dealing with the Black Sea region - Archaeological services, especially in the Black Sea countries (and also in Greece), or foreign archaeological missions in those countries - Museums, galleries and other places of collection, study and exhibition of works of art, especially from this region - The Diplomatic Corps or other state services - Businesses which operate or have interests in the Black Sea region
As a part of the MA programme, students work on a subject relating to their academic interests and stream specialisation. The Master's dissertation provides a good opportunity to apply theory and concepts learned in different courses to a Black Sea related issue or challenge. The Master's dissertation tests students’ ability both to apply a certain methodology and approach in the analysis of a given problem and to demonstrate reasonably original research or fieldwork.
A member of the academic faculty supervises students throughout their projects. The supervision is delivered through face-to-face meetings at the University and through the e-learning platform of the University.
When to apply
The IHU operates on a rolling admissions basis. This means that candidates apply for and are admitted to our programmes all year round. We suggest, however, that you apply as early as possible to ensure a quick response and place availability. Please ensure that you complete the application form fully, as described below, and submit all your supporting documents for us to make an informed decision.
Required Documents -
To apply for a master's programme at the IHU, you will need to provide the following documents:
A completed application form, including personal statement (500 words). All candidates should have a good university degree in a relevant subject from a recognised University. In evidence of this, candidates should provide the following:
- For graduates of Greek Universities, a clearly legible photocopy or scanned copy of your degree certificate and transcripts, detailing the courses studied and grades attained (under Law 4250/14 certificates and documents of all Greek public entities submitted to other Greek public entities are not required to be originals or certified copies). - For graduates of non-Greek institutions, certified copies of your degree certificate and transcripts are required, detailing the courses studied and grades attained. - Two academic references - Proof of competence in English - Two recent passport-size photographs - A copy of your CV
Applying by post -
Please download the forms below and return them together with your documents to the following address:
International Hellenic University School of Humanities Admissions Office 14 km Thessaloniki-Moudania 57001 Thermi Greece
If you have been accepted on an MA programme, you will need to pay a non-refundable deposit of 500 Euros to secure your place. This amount will count towards the first instalment of your tuition fees.
The deposit can be paid by bank transfer or bank draft.
In cooperation with Piraeus Bank, the University has also arranged for fees to be payable through Easypay, quickly and securely. The fees are eligible for financing through LAEK-OAED (via the employer’s 0.45% OAED contribution)
- A good university degree (original transcripts) from a recognised University- Proof of English competence (Proficiency, recently acquired IELTS or TOEFL)- Two academic references- A personal interview may be required
Recipient: International Hellenic University
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here