See our web site for more information (click on "Finance") website
02 August 2017
The MA Education is designed to enhance your professional practice and help you make improvements which will make a positive difference either within the classroom or your particular work environment.
Highly flexible, it caters for educators with a diverse range of experience, development needs, and study requirements. It is suitable for teachers, those in leadership or policy-making roles, and other practitioners working in education or related settings.
Many learners struggle with mathematics, and yet numerical ability is essential both in the workplace and every day life. This specialism will give you the tools to improve your own professional practice and adopt the latest innovations to help your students excel.
The syllabus may include:
* Context and issues - nature of mathematical knowledge; mathematics as human activities; an overview of research in mathematics education
* Curriculum and task design - designing mathematically rich tasks; mathematics education as design science; designing learning hypothetical trajectory; designing teaching units and tasks
* Mathematical understanding and thinking - models of mathematical thinking and understanding; concept formations of mathematical knowledge; socio-cultural theories of learning
* Teachers’ roles in the classroom - teaching approaches and interventions; establishing social norms in classrooms; use of technologies; evaluation of teaching
* Assessment of students’ learning - methodologies to assess understanding; attitude towards mathematics; use of assessment
* Technology – use of technologies in the classroom; latest innovations and potential impacts; evaluations of software such as GeoGebra or Tinkerplots and digital textbooks; designing innovative learning environments with digital technology