- Traditional Chinese Literature in Translation - 15PCHC004 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Modern Chinese Literature in Translation - 15PCHC002 (1 Unit) - Full Year
2. Compulsory Course - Theory and techniques of Comparative Literature - 15PCSC002 (1 Unit) - Full Year
3. Minor Courses For non-fluent Chinese speakers Students who do not have advanced or native-speaker competence in Chinese are required to select one of the following two courses, which offer advanced training in reading and translating Chinese literary texts. These courses are also taken by fourth-year undergraduate students, but MA students will be required to do additional work.
- Traditional Chinese Language and Literature - 15PCHC005 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2016/2017 - Modern Chinese Literature (MA) - 15PCHC003 (1 Unit) - Full Year
For fluent Chinese speakers: For students with advanced or native speaker competence in Chinese, alternative minor units may be selected from the MA Sinology programme, or the second core course may be selected as a minor, with approval from the programme convenor.
4. Dissertation A 10,000-word dissertation on an approved topic
The degree programme consists of two compulsory courses, a minor option and a dissertation of 10,000 words. The taught part of the course consists of core lectures introducing basic concepts, theory and methodology; and the additional seminars that extend the core material into other areas. At Masters level there is particular emphasis on seminar work where students may be expected to make full-scale presentations for units they take.
A postgraduate degree in Chinese Literature from SOAS equips students with essential skills such as competency in language skills and intercultural awareness and understanding. Familiarity with the region will have been developed through the indepth study of Chinese Literature, both pre-modern and modern and the study of literary theory in relation to this literature.
Postgraduate students gain linguistic and cultural expertise enabling them to continue in the field of research or to seek professional and management careers in business, public and charity sectors. They leave SOAS with a portfolio of widely transferable skills which employers seek, including written and oral communication skills; attention to detail; analytical and problem solving skills; and the ability to research, amass and order information from a variety of sources.
A postgraduate degree is a valuable experience that provides students with a body of work and a diverse range of skills that they can use to market themselves with when they graduate.
Tick this if you’d like to know more about fees for this course or university– including information for part-time, distance-learning or international students. Why not use the message box below to tell the university which specific fees you’d like to know more about or to ask about funding opportunities?
Tick this if you have questions about getting admitted to courses at this university, including queries about eligible undergraduate degree subjects or academic entry tests.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your existing qualifications and experience?
Tick this is you have questions about studying in a foreign language at this university.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your language proficiency or ask if it accepts specific test scores?
Tick this if you’d like to know more about the application process at this university, including the material you will need to provide and the deadline for submissions.
Why not use the message box below to ask more specific questions, such as requirements for international students?
Tick this if you have a more specific enquiry, or if you would just like more general information (such as a prospectus). Use the message box below to let the university know how it can help you.
Including a specific message makes it easier for universities to help you with your enquiry and application. You can ask about information for international applicants, scholarships, student accommodation or anything else you’d like to know about the course.
* required field
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry