Study for a prestigious MA Applied Educational Leadership and Management
by distance learning
For educational professionals who may be based in the UK or anywhere in the world and are likely to be, or aspire to be:
- a leader or manager in a school or college
- an educational consultant
- working in an educational planning, development or inspection role for a national or regional organisation.
This course is available via distance learning, allowing you to study flexibly whilst balancing work and personal commitments.
The course will:
- equip you with the knowledge to improve your understanding of educational management and leadership
- enable you to apply theory and research in your job
- foster your continuing professional development through reflection on practice
- allow you to consider issues related to the policy context of education
- give you the chance to contribute towards improvement of educational systems and institutions and to reflect on the quality of learning and teaching.
Your time commitment
We estimate that you will need to study for about 10-15 hours a week.
The course has been developed by the Institute of Education (IOE), the largest institution in the UK devoted to the study of education and related areas. Founded in 1902, the Institute is a world-class centre of excellence for teacher training, higher degrees, research and consultancy in education and related areas of professional practice and the social sciences. The Institute hosts over 100 research and consultancy projects at any one time.
Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Affiliate membership
Students on the AELM programme can become Affiliate members of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), which provides access to a wide range of resources and services. On completion of the MA degree, students will be eligible to apply for fast track professional recognition (ACMI or MCMI with three years’ management experience).
Recognition for the IB advanced certificate in leadership research
The AELM programme has gained recognition for the International Baccalaureate advanced certificate in leadership research. If you are an International Baccalaureate teacher, or interested in gaining this additional qualification, please visit the IB website.
Comprehensive study materials and support
The learning strategy for this course is collaborative in that you share your skills and experience with other students. You are supported by an online learning environment which incorporates focused conferencing and work spaces linked to specific activities for each module. There are also informal discussion areas and links to online resources including library support. Study materials and course readings are provided.