The LLM in Criminal Justice programme will allow you to gain an in depth knowledge of criminal justice systems at international, supranational and domestic levels. The programme aims to foster an understanding of the challenges criminal justice is facing at national, EU and international levels and in a comparative context; and to provide a potential route to post-graduate research in the area of criminal justice.
Criminal Justice Centre at Queen Mary University of London
The Criminal Justice Centre (CJC) provides a forum for research and learning in all aspects of criminal justice, with members are drawn from both the legal profession and academia. The centre provides advice and training to the legal profession, governments and judiciaries, author key publications on criminal justice, engage with the media, undertake collaborative research, supervise post-graduate research and regularly host seminars, lectures, workshops and conferences.
To specialise in this area, you must select 90 credits of modules from this list and do your compulsory dissertation in the field of Criminal Justice (45 credits). The additional 45 credits of taught modules can be in this area or can be unrelated and therefore selected from the full list of LLM modules.
All modules are 22.5 credits unless otherwise stated.
Note: Not all of the modules listed will be available in any one year and semesters listed can be subject to change. Any modules not available in the forthcoming academic session will be marked as soon as this information is confirmed by teaching academics.
The updated module list below represents the result of our ongoing modularisation of the LLM which is intended to offer students greater flexibility and choice of module options.
◦ QLLM053 International Criminal Law (45 credits)
◦ QLLM068 Law of Economic Crime (45 credits)
◦ QLLM078 Mental Health Law (45 credits)
◦ QLLM101 EU Criminal Law (Sem 2)
◦ QLLM169 Punishment in England 1750-1950 (Sem 1)
◦ QLLM173 Terrorism and Human Rights: Constitutional Perspectives (Sem 1)
◦ QLLM174 Migration, Security and Human Rights (Sem 1)
◦ QLLM311 Policing in Local and Global Contexts (Sem 1)
◦ QLLM312 Comparative Criminal Justice (Sem 2) (Not running 2016-17)
◦ QLLM313 Criminal Justice and Surveillance Technologies (Sem 2)
◦ QLLM323 State Crime (sem 2)
◦ QLLM351 Cybercrime: Substantive Offences (sem 1)
◦ QLLM352 Cybercrime: International Co-operation and Digital Investigations (sem 2)