The Legal Practice Course (LPC) leads to the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (LPC). It is the programme of study and assessment approved by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), which you must complete if you want to qualify as a solicitor.
This is a skills-based, ‘learning by doing’ course that gives you the foundation to start a training contract in a law office. You will develop the skills of advocacy, interviewing, legal writing, drafting and research. You will largely work in an interactive, small group setting that replicates the environment of the law office, the courtroom and the solicitor/client relationship.
Some discretionary local authority funding and professional development loans may be available, and some law firms may offer sponsorship for this course.
From first-rate facilities supported by the latest state-of-art software to opportunities to provide members of the public and businesses with legal advice in our specialist legal and financial advice clinic, there are plenty of reasons why you should consider studying law at the University of South Wales.
- Opportunities for you to put your knowledge into practice through our Legal and Financial Advice Clinic by providing advice, delivering client care and engaging with the profession.
- We work with a range of national law firms to provide placement opportunities. These include Hugh James, Eversheds, Capital Law, Clarks Legal, Geldards, NewLaw, Howells and many more.
- You will be taught by leading experts who will use the latest innovative ‘SIMple software’ teaching tools and virtual learning environments to share their knowledge and expertise.
- We go the extra mile to support graduate employability; you will be offered the opportunity to get involved in initiatives such as our very own leadership academy, industry-led guest lectures and employability conferences.
- Legal research at the University is recognised nationally and internationally and our expertise directly influence your learning experience ensuring it is current and relevant.
Your learning will be supported by state-of-the-art study facilities, including a courtroom fully equipped with the latest digital video facilities, a legal practice library, and dedicated teaching and practise rooms. All activities are based on authentic scenarios, and research and preparation is assisted by the facilities in our modern technology suites.