Our leadership and management masters is a challenging and innovative course that has been designed for mid-senior managers looking to enhance their career prospects and refine their own individual qualities to become a leader in the workplace.
The course is made up of a number of creative and innovative modules which are designed to provide you with a broad knowledge of strategic and operational processes, and techniques associated with leadership activities within an organisation.
Ideal for individuals or organisations who want to tailor a programme of study to address particular development needs, the course makes it possible to gain credit and recognition for work-based projects or professional development activities whilst topping up your professional skills and managerial knowledge.
The MSc Leadership and Management will give you the opportunity to explore the behaviours and the role of leadership and how it may influence the individual, the team and the organisation. Theories of leadership will be discussed and applied to your own leadership practice and that of your organisation.
Organisational leadership themes relating to power, politics, ethics, gender and cross-cultural leadership will be considered.
Significant leadership and management processes will be studied such as creating an environment for constant change; understanding and moulding organisational culture; building trust and a high performance team culture; managing and leading complex networks, alliances and partnerships; and the contribution of Human Resource Management.
We will also explore new and cutting edge approaches to leading including critical studies that have questioned the nature and necessity of leadership in organisations.
Modules of study include:
- Managing Professional Development Through studying this skills based module you will become critically self-reflective in relation to your practice. You will also enhance your employability.
- Strategic Leadership This module will provide you with the knowledge and understanding of leading/managing for high performance.
- Global & Strategic Issues in Leadership & Management You will explore how modern leaders and managers need to have some understanding of global and strategic issues.
- Understanding & Managing Change You will examine leadership and management in relation to change, specifically looking into the business case for change.
- Research Methods Studying this module you will gain the skills and knowledge required in relation to methodology and methods to undertake your dissertation.
- Coaching for Executive Leadership & Management Coaching is increasingly being used in companies as a means of supporting enhanced performance either as a general management approach or through the use of a formal external coach. This module will build your skills in relation to the use of coaching as a management tool for enhancing goal-orientated performance.
- Dissertation You will be required to undertake an in-depth piece of academic work where you will critically evaluate literature and apply this to an original piece of research normally within your place of work. This will be of significant value to your organisation.
Learning and teaching methods
Course delivery is highly flexible and includes a mixture of classroom and work based learning, so you can fit your career development around your work commitments. Throughout the course you will undertake a number of bespoke work related assignments and gain additional support through our personal mentor/work based mentor scheme.
You will also be encouraged to take responsibility for your own learning by completing guided reading, individual and organisational analyses, and written assignments.
Delivery is normally by blended learning using 3 day weekend blocks over two weekends on a Saturday/Sunday.
Work Experience and Employment Prospects
Through a supportive learning environment active, participative and an action learning approach you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge, skills, and understanding of leadership and management theory and practice that will be relevant to you and your organisation.
Studying the MSc Leadership and Management will give people who have a few years management experience the opportunity to contextualise their own and their organisational leadership practice.
This MSc Leadership and Management will enhance the career prospects of leaders and managers from all sectors.
There are no examinations and all modules are assessed through course work. Assessments are work-based so students should normally be in work to undertake the course.