About This Masters Degree
Globalisation and an ever-changing economic landscape are introducing new opportunities and practices to effective Human Resource Management (HRM). Our MSc in International Human Resource Management will develop your understanding of real-world HR issues, developing your knowledge and practical skills, with a focus on how a strategic approach to HR can add value to organisations across the globe.
This course is particularly suitable if some, or all, of your career will involve working outside the UK or if you have an interest in global employment issues. Our MSc International HRM is fully accredited by the UK professional body (CIPD) and leads directly to Associate Membership.
The course is taught by an experienced team of lecturers, many of whom have extensive experience as HR professionals, and others who are actively researching and publishing in the field.
The course includes a work placement, and an opportunity to do a live research project leading to your dissertation. It also includes a residential event and a visit to the CIPD’s national conference.
Special Features• Manchester Met Business School has a long-standing reputation for excellence in teaching Human Resource Management to the CIPD Standards. Our programme has been designed to provide an ideal foundation for your career in HRM/HRD or related fields, including international HRM
• This course meets the advanced professional standards set by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), it is accredited by CIPD, and gives full exemption from their level 7 Advanced Diploma in HRM. Upon successful completion of your qualification, and depending on your relevant HR or development experience, you can then apply to upgrade to Chartered Membership. You can read more about Chartered Membership here
• The course is taught by an experienced team of lecturers, many of whom have extensive experience as HR professionals, and others who are actively researching and publishing in the field, including internationally
• Staff are active in researching internationally, including comparative employment practices , studies of international management development with recent major projects in China, East-Asia, and Europe
• You will be taught in the internationally recognised multi-award-winning Business School on All Saints Campus.
• The course provides you with an opportunity to attend the annual CIPD National Conference held in Manchester in November and this is included in the course fee
• A human resources work experience placement is part of the course. Many students choose to research their dissertations in their placement organisation. Our placement team will help and support you in finding your placement, including CV and job/placement application and interview skills preparation. These skills are an excellent foundation to enhance your employability on completion of your studies
• A management skills/self-development residential is included in this course. This two-day event is included in the course fee and takes place early in term one. As part of the Developing Skills for Business leadership (DSBL) unit, students are able to gain a CMI Award in Management Coaching and Mentoring, further adding to an excellent profile for employability in the UK/Europe, or internationally
• We have strong links with the CIPD, which is increasingly international. Recent research from the CIPD suggests that over 30% of HR practitioners in the UK have an international dimension to their work, and the international links and partnerships between CIPD and lead bodies in other counties is growing. The CIPD has members located internationally In SE Asia, South America, Latin America, Africa, Middle -East, Europe and beyond
• The Business School holds many accreditations from many professional bodies, including AACSB, AMBA, CMI, CIPD. Research firmly underpins our curriculum but we are also characterised by our strong external focus through the application of research to organisations and policy formation.
• Our programme is closely linked to the Manchester Met Busienss School Centre for People and Performance which conducts independent research in partnership with a wide range of organisations, to explore the challenges of managing, leading and developing people to create sustainable high-performing organisations
• Our experts deliver tailor-made solutions to organisational and sector-specific challenges and issues for a range of private and public sector clients and policy-makers. Many of the Centre for People and Performance staff teach on our HRM programmes, you can read more about our Centre and the staff here
• We host Conferences, Workshops and Symposiums on a variety of HRM and HRD themes.
• Manchester Met Business School hosts the Manchester Industrial Relations Society which runs frequent (monthly) talks and debates by national recognised experts in the field.
International Human Resource Management with CIPD (MSc)
page on the Manchester Metropolitan University website for more details!
Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or international equivalent, in any subject. We will also consider your application if you have degree equivalent professional qualifications or significant management experience. If your first language is not English and your first degree was not taught in English, you must have an English language score of IETLS 6.5, or equivalent such as TOEFL IBT 90. If your IETLS score is 5.5 we may offer you a place on the proviso that you successfully complete an approved English language course at the University.