The degree aims first to set a sound knowledge base in the fundamental aspects of Business and Management, including current theory and acknowledged best practice in the areas of organisational behaviour, information management and financial control. Thereafter it focuses on the international context, developing your awareness of international market trends and business opportunities. In addition to this basic knowledge, we aim to provide you with a set of analytical and applied skills and strategies which will stand you in good stead throughout your business career in the global marketplace.
Teaching in the Aberystwyth Business School is underpinned by research. Our academic staff publish their work in leading academic journals and regularly act as consultants to a range of organizations. We have significant strengths in areas such as entrepreneurship, human resource management, international business and operations and supply chain management. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (2014) assessment the university was placed in the top 50 institutions for research power and intensity. It submitted 77% of eligible staff and 95% of the university's research was of an internationally recognised standard.
Whatever your own previous experience or future aspiration, you will benefit from an outstanding variety of in-class and outside learning environments. In-class activities include lectures, seminars, workshops, guest speakers and career development activities. Outside activities include managerial field trips, case study visits, outward-bound skills development activities, managerial reporting and liaison with professionals in business and industry.
We offer small class sizes and a friendly environment to encourage communication and the sharing of experiences, opinions and observations among you and your colleagues. Alongside new knowledge and skills, as a graduate of the Aberystwyth Master’s in International Business Management, you will emerge with broadened international horizons and a network of new friends and contacts in the international Business world.
This degree will suit you:
Whatever your first degree - the Aberystwyth MBM programme will provide you with a solid grounding in business and management, whether or not you have studied them before;
Whether or not you already have some business experience – some of our students do, some don’t;
If you are committed to a career in International Business;
If you have the focus, aspiration and commitment to succeed.
Application and Integration (International Business) Business Economics Financial Analysis and Decision Making Implementation Delivery and Development International Business Marketing and Strategy for Managers People and Organisations
Approximately 12 hours a week in the first two semesters. During semester three you will arrange your level of contact time with your assigned supervisor.
The modules in Semesters 1+2 are normally assessed about 70% by examination and 30% by continuous assessment of essays, reports and presentations. The Management Reports Module in Semester 3 is assessed by one written Company report of no more than 14,000 words on a specific company or issue within a company, a sector or issue within a sector, a business plan or a consultancy report for a client. Usually 70% of the report must cover one or more of these key subject areas: Economics; Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour; Financial Management and Management Accounting; Marketing and Strategy; the remaining 30% must cover the subject of Leadership and Managerial skills.
This degree is accredited by the Association of MBAs
Every aspect of the Aberystwyth MBM programme is designed to enhance your employability: indeed, successful completion of the MBM is in itself certain to do so; but we set more store by the hugely enhanced knowledge, abilities and skills with which you will graduate. We believe that prospective employers take a similar view.
In addition, we offer a career-development programme for professional managers, aimed at widening your knowledge, skills, experience and understanding of management and business practices. Our aspiration is to make you a better leader, a better manager and a better communicator.
As well as those who are recent graduates, many of our students have come to what they feel are significant turning points in their careers. By completing the Aberystwyth Master’s in International Business and Management you will have broadened your horizons, gaining knowledge, skills and business contacts which will enable you to consider further career moves and new opportunities in the medium and longer term. It is quite possible that your career will take an unexpected, more fulfilling or more lucrative direction because of what you learn in Aberystwyth - not just about Management, but about yourself, your competencies and your confidence.