• Learn to treat past ideas as historical phenomena, as well as assessing the meanings of these ideas as intended by their authors, and in contexts beyond those their authors may have foreseen.
• This truly interdisciplinary programme brings together experts from across the University with a common interest in researching and contextualising key ideas in their subject areas.
• We will raise your awareness of the different kinds of intellectual history being practised today, and the relationship between intellectual history and philosophy, literature and literary studies, international relations, law, politics, economics and theology.
• Solid grounding in the core modules leads to the exciting opportunity to personally structure your in-depth research under the guidance of a world class scholar in a specific area of intellectual history focusing on history, international relations, philosophy, divinity or English.
• Your chosen research area may well become a springboard for your Masters dissertation or even lead you into a PhD
The University of St Andrews, as a small institution with a strong unified academic community, is exceptionally well placed to offer students the benefits of interdisciplinary studies. In the contemporary complex world students need to be prepared to call upon a strong background incorporating skills and a wider academic knowledge which crosses the boundaries of the traditional subject silos. Students taking one of our interdisciplinary degrees can be exposed to excellent academic researchers at the forefront of their discipline and will benefit from the rich dialogue that results from a diverse postgraduate class setting.
Graduates from these programmes can expect to have developed effective communication skills, intercultural understanding and the ability to critically analyse information to solve complex interdisciplinary problems. These strengths are valued by future employers and are equally valuable to those wishing to pursue a research career with an interdisciplinary aspect.
* Unique opportunities to study interdisciplinary subjects in an environment where academics regularly exchange ideas and develop interdisciplinary debate through a vibrant and active seminar, workshop and conference programme.
* An excellent Special Collections library resource.
* Our teaching arises from a foundation of world-class research.
* In our historic town, the academic disciplines are nestled side-by-side stimulating a thriving environment of intellectual discussion between postgraduates, undergraduates and academic staff.