Delivering effective healthcare throughout periods of both normality and disruption is key to achieving and maintaining sound societal resilience. But, successfully achieving healthcare resilience is a complex and demanding process, requiring a holistic approach combining emergency preparedness, resilience and response strategies to manage disruptive events that can create mass casualties and fatalities, cause extensive damage to property, and disrupt communities.
This programme, unique in the UK, examines the centrality and synergistic characteristics of those healthcare imperatives relative to achieving resilience. It offers students a stimulating learning environment combining academic and professional practitioner approaches to Healthcare and Societal Resilience.
See the website http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/executive-education/programmes/accredited/hsr/
The programme aims to:
- Promote knowledge and understanding in the subject of Healthcare and Societal Resilience, incorporating emergency preparedness, resilience and response as it specifically pertains to the field of Healthcare; encompassing, both organisational issues and specialist areas.
- Promote the integration of emergency preparedness resilience and response strategies into strategic and operational planning for the provision of high quality health services
- Provide advanced training where an opportunity is afforded for healthcare and resilience professionals to bring together professional expertise and growing academic abilities
- promote Healthcare and Societal Resilience as serious subjects for academic study within the field of organisational resilience
- Enhance the self-esteem of the participating students and to establish healthcare and societal resilience as relevant (and connected) disciplines within the corporate environment in order that it might rank alongside other management disciplines
- Assist individuals with career development, advancement of their professional competence and standing, and their lifelong learning.
- Provide an opportunity for healthcare professionals from uniformed and public sector backgrounds to migrate into the corporate and private sector healthcare and resilience domains.
-Provide a unique academic qualification in Healthcare and Societal Resilience, that brings together professional expertise and academic disciplines relevant to this interdisciplinary field.
- Assist with entry into academic and civil protection representative bodies, for example The Institute of Civil Protection and Emergency Management and the Emergency Planning Society and to assist in gaining Fellow status. To similarly assist with entry into professional networks with a view to expanding the employability and commercial traction of the candidate in post-graduation professional life.
The programme runs over 12 months to 36 months depending on the qualification. There are three levels of qualification, each leading to the next – Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc.
The individual modules are delivered in what is known as block format. So, as opposed to the usual style of university courses which are two or three hours of contact time per week over a ten week term, these modules are delivered in four full working days of contact time, with then guided study, tutor contact, and deliverables rounding the module off.
The programme has a wide array of assessment methods, to allow students to highlight the best of their abilities.
The programme consists of the following modules:
- What is Resilience?
- Risk Management
- Emergency Simulations
- Leadership and Management
- Population and Community Emergency
- Health and Societal Resilience in Context
- Communicating Risk Hazard and Threat Information
- Response Strategies for Special Incidents
- Masters Research Project
Find out how to apply here http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/executive-education/apply/
Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree from a UK or recognised overseas University with a Second Class honours or equivalent; Applicants who have achieved the academic requirements for corporate membership of a British Chartered Professional Institute (equivalent to QCF level 6 or above); Applicants who hold any other relevant qualification or professional experience as determined by the Programme Director with a reasonable level of formal academic education.