Graduate Diploma in Fine Art at Chelsea College of Arts is a full time, one year programme. The course enables you to develop your practice within a contemporary context, against the backdrop of the vibrant London art scene, whether your aim is to progress to further study at Masters Level or pursue a career within the field of Fine Art.
What students can expect from the course:
- An introduction to research-led creative practice that will enable you to develop your own personal direction and work independently towards a well-defined goal
- To enable you to locate your ideas and practice in relation to contemporary art practice and debate on cultural and theoretical issues
- Integrated practice and theory elements to help you understand the contexts and conditions that shape and frame contemporary art practice
- To support your creative development with appropriate artistic, technical and professional skills
- To develop a critical body of work
- To leave the course with a portfolio of work that will effectively support application to postgraduate study and / or entry into employment
Unit 1 - Research and risk-taking: exploring your practice
- You will establish and develop a working practice that best makes use of the College environment and your studio.
- You will ask fundamental questions about what it is to have a research informed practice where you will explore and articulate ideas through making work.
- This unit will help you develop a holistic approach where theory, practice and a professional context are interdependent within a practice that you will develop through the next two units.
Unit 2 - Contexts: Critical and Professional
- Having explored potential ideas and theories that inform your practice in the first unit, you will next contextualise your practice within the diversity of current theories and debates.
- You will critically evaluate and identify references within art, literature, popular culture or theory.
- You will focus on your own specific interests to develop a secure grasp of the areas of concern that are important to your practice. The lectures and seminars act as models of how to focus, analyse and explore particular issues in greater depth.
Unit 3 - Practice: Development and Realisation - This unit asks you to develop your work towards a point of realisation in the form of exhibitions and through a portfolio.
- You will be expected to exhibit your work and, through the documentation of these exhibitions, demonstrate your ability to consolidate your research-informed practice into an appropriate form.
- The exhibitions will also demonstrate your awareness of how your work might operate appropriately within a professional context.
UAL Postgraduate Funding and Scholarships Schemes
University of the Arts London is pleased to offer a number of scholarships to those wishing to study at postgraduate level. These awards are funded by generous private donations, company donations, philanthropic charities and University funds. The scholarships range from fee waivers to full support for a year or more.
Value of Scholarship(s)
Up to £25,000
To see whether you are eligible for one of our postgraduate scholarships, visit the UAL website by following the link below.
To find out whether you are eligible for one of our postgraduate scholarships, or to see details of application procedures and application forms, visit the UAL website by following the link below.
- BA (Hons) degree or equivalent academic qualifications- Evidence of ability in art or design- Alternative qualifications and experience will also be taken into consideration- IELTS level 6.0 or above if English isn’t their first language, with at least 5.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking (please check our English Language requirements)
£9,250 - Home/EU, £17,920 - International
Recipient: University of the Arts London
Insert previous message below for editing?
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need. Why not add a message here