This course is designed to provide a broad-based education in the principles and practice of GIS. Core modules cover issues such as the representation, acquisition, management and manipulation of spatial data; spatial analysis and modelling; remote sensing; GIS in the commercial environment; spatial databases and web-based programming. Concepts and techniques are illustrated using a variety of applications.
- Study to PgCert, PgDip or MSc level
- Modules may be taken in 'standalone' mode.
- Available both on-campus and by fully online distance learning
- Can be taken part-time or full-time
- Flexibility to transfer between full-time and part-time, on-campus and distance learning
- Strong focus on employable and professional skills
- Extensive hands-on practice with key software
- Entirely assessed by coursework - no formal examinations
- Established course (15 years +) with excellent reputation and feedback
Visit the website: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/201617/geographic-information-systems-9141
- Description -
Graduates of the course are expected to have a broad overview of the field of GIS, to have extensive practical experience of GIS and related software and hardware, and be able to operate at a professional level in GIS employment.
PgDip modules cover issues such as the representation, acquisition, management and manipulation of spatial data, spatial analysis and modelling, remote sensing, GIS in the commercial environment, databases and web programming. Concepts and techniques are illustrated using a variety of applications. Students can take one optional module from a choice of GIS work experience / work-based project, GIS for environmental management, and customising GIS. Students may also opt for an environmental strand of the course.
- Teaching and learning assessment -
Assessment is 100% by course work (no sessional examinations); a mixture of methods including practical reports, problem analysis, projects, literature reviews and essays, class tests, group work and a research project.
Students are able to use the University's extensive online resources of electronic journals, books and databases.
Successful students develop a range of skills in the management, processing, analysis, interpretation and presentation of geo-spatial data, as well as skills in project management, report writing and problem solving.
Graduates of the course have secured employment in a variety of roles in Ireland, the UK, Europe and further afield (including Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the Middle East), in GIS positions including technicians and analysts, development and sales, lecturing and research, within organisations such as mapping agencies and GIS companies, environmental consultancies, resource management and environmental agencies, planning, health services, housing authorities, local government, rural development, utilities and infrastructure, education, mining and retail analysis. Knowledge and understanding of geo-spatial data is also increasingly required in a variety of jobs outside of the GI profession, making a GIS qualification a valuable asset enhancing employability in a range of fields.
How to apply: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/apply/how-to-apply#pg
Why study at Ulster?
1. Over 92% of our graduates are in work or further study six months after graduation.
2. We are a top UK university for providing courses with a period of work placement.
3. Our teaching and the learning experience we deliver are rated at the highest level by the Quality Assurance Agency.
4. We are an international university with more than 2,000 international students from over 80 countries and Alumni from 121 countries.
5. More than 4,000 students from over 50 countries have successfully completed eLearning courses at Ulster University
To help spread the cost of your studies, tuition fees can be paid back in monthly instalments while you learn. If you study for a one-year, full-time master’s, you can pay your fees up-front, in one lump sum, or in either five or ten equal monthly payments. If you study for a master’s on a part-time basis (e.g. over three years), you can pay each year’s fees up-front or in five or ten equal monthly payments each year. This flexibility allows you to spread the payment of your fees over each academic year. Find out more by visiting http://www.ulster.ac.uk/learnyourway
A comprehensive range of financial scholarships, awards and prizes are available to undergraduate, postgraduate and research students. Scholarships recognise the many ways in which our students are outstanding in their subject. Individuals may be able to apply directly or may automatically be nominated for awards. Visit the website: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/apply/fees-and-finance/scholarships
English Language Tuition
CELT offers courses and consultations in English language and study skills to Ulster University
students of all subjects, levels and nationalities. Students and researchers for whom English is an additional language can access free CELT support throughout the academic year: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/international/english-language-support