Kent Business School’s specialist Master’s programmes in Finance are specially designed to respond to the rapidly changing needs of the finance and financial services sector, cultivating practical financial skills and developing real-world business knowledge.
The MSc International Banking and Finance programme enables you to gain employability skills that are necessary for working in top tier global financial institutions, international organisations, central banks, financial regulatory agencies and in similar highly specialised institutions.
This programme provides a solid background in the principles and practices of financial institutions, markets and systems. You develop your knowledge, understanding and insight into how financial institutions and markets function in the economy and global financial system. You also develop an appropriate range of cognitive, critical, intellectual and research skills, plus relevant personal and interpersonal skills to interact in the real world of business and finance.
The programme will be of particular interest to those wishing to build careers within banks, building societies, specialised financial institutions and fund management, securities dealing firms, multinational companies, or to occupy roles in corporate financial management and independent financial advice.
We are currently seeking recognition for the MSc in International Banking and Finance programme from the Professional Risk Managers’ International Association (PRMIA) as PRMIA academic partner at programme level. PRMIA recognition has already been obtained for the MSc Financial Services in Banking programme, which is the predecessor of the MSc in International Banking and Finance.
- Quants Workshop Kent Business School offers an optional two-week refresher workshop in Mathematics, Statistics and Excel, prior to the start of this programme.
Kent Business School (KBS)
Kent Business School has over 25 years’ experience delivering business education. Our portfolio of postgraduate programmes demonstrates the breadth and depth of our expertise. Academic research and links with global business inform our teaching, ensuring a curriculum that is relevant and current. We are ranked as a top 30 UK business school for the standard of our teaching and student satisfaction. We also hold a number of accreditations by professional bodies.
Studying at Kent Business School (KBS) gives you the opportunity to increase your employability with real-life case studies, a student council and a business society. We have strong links to local and national organisations providing opportunities for projects, internships and graduate placements. The School attracts many high-profile speakers from industry and last year included visits and lectures from staff of the Bank of England, BAE Systems, Barclays, Lloyds Insurance, Cummins, Delphi and Kent County Council.
Elements of practical work will be carried out in the Business School’s dedicated Bloomberg Lab. The virtual trading platform allows you to access and engage with market data through practical case studies and the use of online databases. The programmes also provide you with the necessary training required for the Bloomberg Certificate.
This programme aims to:
- provide knowledge and understanding of the financial systems and institutions that exist in Western economies and emerging markets
- provide you with the knowledge to be able to evaluate the relevant literature critically
- provide you with the knowledge to enable the application of appropriate risk management techniques
- enable you to interpret and evaluate banking and financial theory critically
- develop your ability to apply quantitative techniques to finance and banking practice
- develop an appropriate range of cognitive, critical and intellectual skills, research skills and relevant personal and interpersonal skills
- provide you with the knowledge of the financial regulations that exist within the financial world
- provide preparation for and/or development of a career in financial services/banking by developing your skills at a professional or equivalent level, or as preparation for research or further study in the area
- add value to your first degree by developing your integrated and critical awareness and understanding in the field of financial services
- provide teaching and learning opportunities that are informed by high-quality research and scholarships, from within the Kent Business School and elsewhere
- develop your ability to conduct independent self-directed research.
Our finance programmes equip you with an impressive set of skills and specialist knowledge. In addition, inbuilt practical experience will help you succeed in a competitive job market.
This programme is ideal preparation for a career with investment and commercial banks, insurance companies, specialised financial institutions, trading companies and financial management roles in other industries.
Careers in finance continue to provide exceptional earning potential in the UK (The very highest-paying job specialisms in the finance sector include structurer, trader, M&A and leveraged finance, 2 November 2015, CityA.M.).
Our students have an excellent record for employment. Recent graduates are now working in top global companies including AXA, BNP Paribas, FactSet, HSBC, PwC, Santander, Thomson Reuters, USB Investment Bank and Zurich Financial Services.
We are currently seeking recognition for the MSc in International Banking and Finance programme from the Professional Risk Managers' International Association (PRMIA) as PRMIA academic partner at programme level.
Kent Business School is a member of the European Foundation for Management Development (EMFD), CIPD, CIM and the Association of Business Schools (ABS). In addition, KBS is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA).