The programme is designed for:
- those developing careers as policy analysts and applied researchers in national, European or international social or public policy organisations
- middle and senior ranking staff in the public, private or voluntary sectors of social policy as a mid-career re-training
- prospective PhD students.
The programme combines the academic study of European Social Policy with a comprehensive exploration of research methods and skills. This takes place within an active research community where students are supported in identifying, investigating and realising their own original research.
The programme intake is limited to 16 students per year, fostering a friendly and supportive learning environment.
Visit the website http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/pg/programmes/mres-euro-soci-poli/
- Short research apprenticeship project (MRes)
- Quantitative methods 1: introduction to quantitative methods
- Long research apprenticeship project
- Research for policy: concepts, methods and values
- Comparative European social policy
- Qualitative methods 1
- Principles & skills of social research
- MRes Dissertation
- Globalisation & economic insecurity: social policy challenges
- Quantitative methods 2
- Qualitative methods 2
- Comparative research methods
The Department of Social & Policy Sciences (http://www.bath.ac.uk/sps/) includes academics from social policy, sociology, social work and international development.
The international excellence of our research (http://www.bath.ac.uk/sps/research/) was recognised by the award of the prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize in 2011.
We are committed to advancing learning and knowledge through teaching and research. Our Department collaborates with a wide range of users at the local, national, European and global levels.
We offer a wide range of postgraduate programmes. Our postgraduate teaching strongly reflects our research and our links to policy-makers and development institutions at the national, European and global level.
Our Department also has an active MPhil/PhD research programme. We take great pride in fostering a friendly and supportive learning environment.
We run a lively and well attended postgraduate research seminar series. Each of the Research Centres run seminar series and conferences associated with their research activities. The University of Bath also has a Research in the World public lecture series where key national and international academics are invited to speak.
We are committed to ensuring that postgraduate students acquire a range of subject-specific and generic skills during their training. Our graduates generally go on to work in a wide variety of organisations, for example:
- social research in universities and research institutes, government, business, voluntary organisations and international organisations
- public policy analysis at local, national and international levels
- public information and campaigning within organisations concerned with wellbeing, sustainability and social justice.
We are an internationally-recognised research-intensive department with a strong focus on policy and practice and a commitment to contribute to social wellbeing and social justice.
We draw together academic staff with backgrounds in Social Policy, Sociology, Social Work and International Development and work closely with colleagues in Psychology, Economics, and Health.
We also have an active and vibrant community of research students undertaking their own research alongside our academic staff.
Find out how to apply here - http://www.bath.ac.uk/hss/graduate-school/taught-programmes/how-to-apply/
Visit the European Social Policy (MRes) page on the University of Bath website for more details!
Never miss a course
Enter our scholarship competition
Get funding news, tips and advice
Hear about upcoming events
Get postgraduate loan updates
Hear about funded courses
Enter our scholarship competition
Discover international opportunities
We've been helping students find the right postgraduate course for over a decade.
We'll make sure you're the first to hear about scholarship opportunities and funding news.