This unique and highly innovative Masters degree programme gives a taste of what it is like to run your own business and will appeal equally to aspiring entrepreneurs and those seeking leadership positions within larger organisations.
Much of the learning takes place outside the classroom so that students can see first-hand how business works in China and can develop an understanding of how to engage effectively with international partners and clients.
You will gain hands on experience by formulating and developing a business idea into a real business plan, while the Entrepreneurial Project will provide the opportunity to be embedded in a company where you can develop your innovative skills. These activities will engage you face-to-face with entrepreneurs in practice and expose you to real world business problem solving.
The MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management programme is designed to enable students to:
• engage in a study of organisations (mostly new ventures and SMEs), their management and operation, and the changing economic and political climate in which they operate.
• prepare for and to develop a career in business and management.
• enhance lifelong learning skills and personal development to contribute to society at large.
• provide insights into the historical and current ideas in entrepreneurship.
• develop skills in creative thinking and problem solving.
• examine and assess the importance of innovation and its management.
• provide students with a clear understanding of the issues in financing and marketing that face the entrepreneur.
• develop skills in experiential, interactive and integrative learning.
• enable students to develop team working skills.
• enable students with an overview on the patterns and the practices of entrepreneurship in Greater China.
The MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management programme can be taken on a full-time or part-time basis and commences in the September of each year. Students are required to take taught modules and prepare an individual dissertation or an extended business plan.
The structure of this programme is modular, with individual taught modules each typically have a weighting of 15 credits. One credit represents 10 hours of student work, meaning that a 15 credit module represents 150 hours of study including formal teaching, independent study, revision, and preparation for assessments. This degree requires the successful completion of 180 credits; 90 of which consist of taught modules, 30 for an Entrepreneurship project and 60 credits for the Entrepreneurship Business Plan or Dissertation project.
Semester 1 modules:
Entrepreneurship and Creativity Marketing for Entrepreneurial Firms Entrepreneurial Finance and Accounting Innovation Management
Semester 2 modules:
Entrepreneurship Dissertation OR Entrepreneurship Business Plan
plus two modules form the list below:
Managing International Business in China Entrepreneurial Management Launching New Ventures E-Business Social Entrepreneurship Project Management
Teaching and learning
Teaching and learning sessions are highly interactive, with a case study focus, so that there is less emphasis on abstract theory and more emphasis on acquiring knowledge and decision-making skills that can be applied. Unlike ordinary marketing, finance and accounting programmes, entrepreneurship students will explore these subjects from the unique perspective of an entrepreneur, helping them to gain an understanding of the specific challenges faced when starting and developing a new business.
Career options for this degree
This degree provides an ideal study path for people wishing to start their own business or be involved in early stage start-up companies. Equally, as larger organisations are increasingly valuing people who can innovate and act entrepreneurially from a management perspective, those looking to pursue management careers will gain highly relevant and applicable skills.
Additionally the programme provides a strong base from which to undertake post graduate research study into the area of entrepreneurship.
To encourage academic excellence, The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) offers a comprehensive and expanding range of scholarships to postgraduate students. For more information please click the link below