We provide academic and professional development for experienced English language teachers who are looking to advance their careers within the profession. Successful completion offers automatic entry on to semester two of the MA English Language Teaching.
You will increase your knowledge through observed teaching practice with feedback from tutors and enhance your understanding of aspects such as language and methodology.
Our Cambridge Delta course is taught by highly qualified and experienced teacher trainers. We are an approved Cambridge Delta Centre. This prestigious professional qualification for English language teachers confers TEFL-Qualified status as defined by the British Council accreditation scheme.
1. Observed teaching practice with feedback from tutors. 2. High level input to advance your knowledge and understanding of aspects such as language, methodology, language acquisition. 3. An extended project focused on a specialist area such as ESOL, English for Academic Purposes, Teaching English to Young Learners or Content and Language Integrated Learning. 4. The opportunity to be entered for the Cambridge Delta qualification and gain TEFL-Qualified status.
Teaching and Learning
Learning will take place through seminars, small group and individual tutorials, as well as independent learning. The course will include an assessed teaching practice component.
The assessments on the course are developmental tasks for English language teaching professionals and include a portfolio of tasks, an oral presentation, teaching practice and a reflective journal. Students who are entered for the Delta qualification will also take additional parallel assessments.
- Research Excellence Framework 2014: twice as many of our staff - 220 - were entered into the research assessment for 2014 compared to the number entered in 2008
Our University welcomes applications from mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential. We usually require some evidence of recent academic study, for example completion of an access course, however recent relevant work experience may also be considered. Please note that for some of our professional courses all applicants will need to meet the specified entry criteria and in these cases work experience cannot be considered in lieu.
Please note that all applicants to our University are required to meet our standard English language requirement of GCSE grade C or equivalent, variations to this will be listed on the individual course entry requirements.
We offer you the opportunity to gain a recognised English language teaching qualification and TEFL-Qualified status. You can also develop expertise in a specialist area such as ESOL, English for Academic Purposes, Teaching English to Young Learners or Content and Language Integrated Learning. Successful completion entitles you to two qualifications, both the Postgraduate Certificate and the internationally recognised Cambridge Delta qualification.
- English Language Teacher - Materials Writer - Director of Studies or other educational manager - Teacher Trainer
Careers advice: The dedicated Jobs and Careers team offers expert advice and a host of resources to help you choose and gain employment. Whether you're in your first or final year, you can speak to members of staff from our Careers Office who can offer you advice from writing a CV to searching for jobs.
Our highly qualified and expert team have many years' experience of successfully training teachers and developing innovative materials including a range of multimedia resources.
The course provides practical classroom experience, hands-on development of multi-media resources, materials development and the opportunity to pursue a specialism, such as ESOL, English for Academic Purposes, Teaching English to Young Learners or teacher training.
Understanding Language, Methodology & Resources for Teaching (Delta Module one, 20 credits) First and second language acquisition; Approaches and methods; and Learner error and error analysis.
Developing Professional Practice (Delta Module two, 20 credits) Teaching practice; Lesson observation; Evaluating, selecting and using resources and materials; and Professional development.
Extending Practice & ELT Specialism (Delta Module three, 20 credits) Researching a specialist area; Course/ syllabus design; Testing and assessment; and Monitoring and evaluating courses.
Senior Lecturer in English Language Teaching
"Designed to develop your professional knowledge and skills, the Cambridge Delta/PG Cert is the most widely recognised and prestigious English language teacher qualification. Our course will make you a more effective teacher and improve your career prospects."
Heather has taught English in France, Japan and the UK and has been a teacher trainer for over 20 years. She is a regular speaker at the IATEFL conference and is also an experienced ELT materials writer. She is currently researching teachers' attitudes towards global coursebooks and trainee teacher reflection.
- Library Our libraries are two of the only university libraries in the UK open 24/7 every day of the year. However you like to study, the libraries have got you covered with group study, silent study, extensive e-learning resources and PC suites.
- Headingley Campus Our historic Headingley Campus is set in 100 acres of parkland with easy access to Leeds city centre.