The accredited MSc Engineering in the Coastal Environment course provides training in coastal engineering for civil engineers and physical scientists. This unique programme is taught jointly between Engineering and the Environment and Ocean and Earth Science at the University of Southampton, with extensive input from industry.
The coastal zone is widely recognised as important at national, European and global levels. Skilled graduates who can understand environmental coastal issues and apply this to engineering problems are in high demand. This course has been designed with your future career in mind and will enable you to acquire core knowledge of environmental coastal engineering; develop key skills such as the use of numerical models, data analysis, environmental impact assessment, and design of coastal structures; and apply this knowledge to address real world problems in the coastal zone.
• A unique and effective interdisciplinary educational environment with world leading research expertise and access to cutting-edge facilities.
• Strong links to industry and practicing coastal engineers, such as HR Wallingford, Associated British Ports and Channel Coastal Observatory.
• Research projects undertaken in collaboration with (and often based at) leading international coastal consultancies or appropriate government agencies, including AECOM, CH2M, Royal Haskoning, Eastern Solent Coastal Partnership, and the Environment Agency.
• Draws on world-class research expertise from both Engineering and the Environment and the Environment and Ocean and Earth Science, which is based at the National Oceanography Centre Southampton (NOCS).
• More than 98% of graduates successfully move into careers or PhD research in the field within six months.
Our MSc is closely linked with the Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute (SMMI) which develops applied coastal research across the University, nationally and internationally. You will also benefit from our partnership with industry and government.
Visit the Engineering in the Coastal Environment - MSc page on the University of Southampton website for more details!