• University of York Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Edinburgh Featured Masters Courses
  • Regent’s University London Featured Masters Courses
  • Swansea University Featured Masters Courses
  • Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University Featured Masters Courses
  • Leeds Beckett University Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Glasgow Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Leeds Featured Masters Courses
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine Featured Masters Courses
Barcelona Executive Business School Featured Masters Courses
University of Leeds Featured Masters Courses
Anglia Ruskin University Featured Masters Courses
Cardiff University Featured Masters Courses

Electrical and Electronic Engineering (MRes)

Course Description

This course builds on our world-class research work in electrical and electronic engineering, materials and devices, robotics, mechatronics, computer networks and telecommunications, big data, and informatics. It is funded by the European Union, Research Councils, Royal Society, Knowledge Transfer Programmes, and industrial companies.

The course provides knowledge, experience and skills that are essential for research and development work. It is research-oriented, with 80% of the time spent on a research project and the other 20% on taught modules. It is designed to develop key research skills, build up in-depth technical knowledge and understanding as well as project management skills, communications skills and presentation skills.

You can choose the project, either as a part of ongoing research work in our research laboratories or in our partner industrial companies. This course can also be tailored as an in-house course.

Example project topics (not exhaustive):
- Mobile Inspection Robots and Non-Destructive Testing Techniques, Design of Control and Embedded Systems, Elastic Waves Modelling

- Infrared and Electronic Sensing, Electronic Design, Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling

- Instrumentation Programming, Software Engineering, Electromagnetics, Magnetic Materials and Devices

- Thin Film Materials and Devices, Photovoltaics, Low Loss Ceramic Resonators, Antenna Design, Broadband Technologies, Power Over Air

- Mobile and Wireless Communications, Ad-hoc Networks, MIMO, WiFi, WiMax, Zigbee, FPGAs, Linux Clustering, Mobile Programming, Network Programming.

- Big Data and Informatics

See the website http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/electrical-electronic-engineering-research-masters-mres


- Intellectual property development
- Project stage 1
- Project stage 2
- Project stage 3
- Technical, research and professional skills


On successful completion of the course, students can either continue to MPhil/ PhD studies or work in the research and development or technical support sections in industry such as electrical and electronic engineering, computer networks, telecommunications, and other engineering disciplines.

LSBU Employability Services

LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability and succeed in getting a job after you have graduated. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search. Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills, finding a job, interview techniques, work experience or an internship, and will help you assess what you need to do to get the job you want at the end of your course. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies, including:

- direct engagement from employers who come in to interview and talk to students
- Job Shop and on-campus recruitment agencies to help your job search
- mentoring and work shadowing schemes. We have extensive research links with over 15 UK and 20 European companies, for example: TWI Ltd, British Telecoms, Doosan Babcock Energy Ltd, CEA, BP, ISQ and through our own companies, for example Biox Systems Ltd.

Visit the Electrical and Electronic Engineering (MRes) page on the London South Bank University website for more details!

Entry Requirements

An Honours degree or a professional qualification recognised as equivalent to an honours degree in the electrical and electronic engineering discipline.

Email Enquiry

Recipient: London South Bank University

Insert previous message below for editing? 
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need.
Why not add a message here
* required field
Send a copy to me for my own records.

Your enquiry has been emailed successfully

Share this page:

Cookie Policy    X