The MA Education programme will give you an unparalleled opportunity to study education at a master's level. Working independently within a challenging but supportive environment, you will be provided with the tools and resources to undertake and use educational research. You will also be supported in researching and reflecting on your own practice.
The programme aims to:
- improve your research, analysis and critical thinking skills
- enhance your professional practice through greater theoretical understanding of current educational issues.
The MA Education is designed for teachers, lecturers, trainers, educational leaders, managers and administrators, and those aspiring to a career in education.
- Choose from one of four Study Pathways to focus your learning where you want to develop.
- Flexible study options include Summer Schools, Study Centres and distance learning.
- Undertake a small scale research project in the context of your own or your institution's policy and practice.
- Optional opportunity to study for the International Baccalaureate Educators’ Certificate alongside the MA Education.
Visit the website http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/pg/programmes/ma-in-educ/
You can choose one of the following Study Pathways as part of this programme:
The MA Education is our most popular degree and allows you the greatest flexibility in choice of units and dissertation topic (with the exception of those opting to take the International Baccalaureate Educator Certificates who are required to take specific units).
MA Education (International Education):
This pathway is designed for those who wish to develop knowledge and an understanding of issues relating to education beyond the national context. Depending upon your interests, you can focus on issues relating to educational practices in different national systems, on international schools and/or on other issues cutting across national contexts.
MA Education (Learning and Teaching):
If you wish to develop the practice and your understanding of Learning and Teaching then this is the pathway for you. Core units draw on theory of learning and teaching processes (with children and adults) and the role of technology.
MA Education (Educational Leadership and Management):
This pathway is designed to meet the needs of experienced educational professionals who wish to inform their work as leaders and managers, or who aspire to a leadership role, through an in-depth understanding of current educational management practice, theory, research and policy.
You can choose from a variety of ways to study this programme.
If you wish, you can complete the programme entirely though distance learning, however we recommend you try to attend at least one face-to-face unit as it is valuable to spent time in a study environment with tutors and other students.
For the 90 credits required for the MA Education, you acquire 60 credits through taught units and 30 credits by completing a dissertation. Typically, you complete five 12 credit taught units. One of the taught units must be the Research Methods in Education which is worth 12 credits, another of the taught units must be Understanding Learners and Learning or Education and Society (your choice may depend on which pathway you choose).
- Distance learning study commences at two fixed points in the year, 1st March and 1st September.
- Units taught at Summer School start in July
- Units are taught at Study Centres throughout the year.
- You can study units in any order, but you must complete each unit within six months.
- 175 study hours is expected for each unit.
- You can study up to two units at any one time and you have between two and five years to complete the programme.
Our programmes are modular, consisting of self-contained units, taught and assessed by assignment and dissertation. As you progress through the units and pass the assignments, you will receive feedback and grades, thus providing you with a clear indication of your academic progress.
Teaching methods at Summer Schools and Study Centres include; lectures, student-led seminars, workshops, group work, tutorials, Moodle (virtual learning environment), and other electronic communications.
If there are less than six students enrolled on a unit scheduled at Summer School, the unit will still run, but it may be taught on a Directed Tutorial basis. You will be provided with resources to help your study and individual or group tutorials will be timetabled in order to make sure your learning needs are fully met.
Distance Learning takes place online; enabling you to study independently with the support of a tutor. The Wiki environment offers you a number of alternatives for working flexibly with your learning materials. In addition, there are opportunities to link up with other students and leave feedback about your experience.
Assessment consists of a written 5000 word assignment for each unit of study, together with a 15,000 word Dissertation.
If you have studied, but not completed or received an award, for postgraduate Masters level units in education from another institution, you may be eligible to transfer credit for this prior learning.
- Depending on the programme of study, you may transfer up to 40% of the total credits required for the MA/Postgraduate Certificate/Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
- Credit must have been obtained recently (less than 8 years ago at the time of the award of the qualification to which it contributes).
- Claims for APL will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- If you obtain APL you will still be required to study Research Methods in Education and either Education and Society or Understanding Learners and Learning (unless your previous study has sufficient overlap with any of the units, in which case exemption may be considered).
- Use of APL credit may affect your options when selecting a study pathway.
This programme is ideal for those wishing to progress their career within an educational organisation.
Many of our graduates have gone on to be leaders and managers within educational settings; while others started their educational careers in teaching, lecturing or administration. This degree will also prepare you for further study at Doctoral level.
Visit the Education (MA) page on the University of Bath website for more details!