The Doctor of Education degree is aimed at experienced educational professionals and sets out to place you at the leading edge of your professional field in terms of knowledge, awareness and understanding.
The professional doctorate is for those who are eager to make substantial and original contributions to the development of educational knowledge in a broad range of settings.
The degree meets the need for the highest levels of professional development and training of both educators and those concerned with educational policy and administration. The prime focus is on the interplay between the multi-dimensional practices of education and scholarship.
The degree is designed to engage current practitioners with knowledge, awareness and understanding of the philosophical, organisational, political, social, managerial, interpersonal, and technical dimensions of schools and other educational institutions.
Exploration of the nexus between theory and practice begins with a series of taught units that will develop you capability to perceive critical issues facing educators and policymakers today through the lens of contemporary and historical research and philosophy. This broad foundation will enable you to hone your specific interests towards the conduct of supervised research that will make an original contribution to your field.
- a high-level academic study of a range of educational and professional issues - four tutored units and a supervised research component - will enable you to make a contribution to knowledge through unit assignments, and through your research enquiry - focus on the interplay and relationship between professional practice and scholarship.
You will complete four taught units (two are optional) before moving onto the Research Enquiry. Core units
- Educational Research: philosophy and practice - Educational Policy: theory and practice
- Curriculum philosophy and practice - Educational management, leadership and administration - International education: philosophy and practice - Language, culture and education - Philosophy of education - Pilot research enquiry * - Reading paper *
* If your background and experience is appropriate, one of your units can be a reading paper or a pilot research enquiry.
Learning and teaching
Each unit is led by a specialist tutor and comprises:
- Tutored time - 40 hours involving you in lectures, group work and individual or paired tasks. - Independent study - 80 hours in which you will research issues raised in tutored time and plan, research and write the Unit Assignment.
Studying by means of directed learning is currently possible for some units. In the Research Enquiry phase, a supervisor and co-supervisor will be responsible for giving you advice and support, and monitoring your progress.
Intensive teaching weeks
On-campus units are offered at specific times of the year according to a programme published in advance.
The Summer School normally runs for three weeks from the beginning of July, one or two units are also usually offered in January (applications for both must be made via Summer School process).
One core and one optional unit are typically offered via distance learning in either the spring or autumn term.
Methods of assessment
Units will normally be assessed through one assignment of 8,000 words.
Your Research Enquiry will be assessed through a viva voce examination at the University by a member of staff (not your supervisor) and by an external examiner especially appointed to your thesis. The Research Enquiry must provide evidence of originality of mind and critical judgement about your chosen aspect of education, and must contain material which is worthy of publication.
- First or 2:1 Honours degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate subject, from a recognised university. - Advanced qualification (MEd, MA or MPhil) in education or a related field. Alternatively, the completion of two Masters level education-focused units at the University of Bath will be considered.
- Appropriate professional experience in the practice of education or a related field.
English Language requirements (Certificates must be dated to within two years of the start of the programme of study.)
- IELTS 7.0 (with not less than 6.5 in each of the four components) - TOEFL 600 (paper-based test) or 250 (computer-based test) with a score of not less than 4 in TWE or 100 (internet-based test) with not less than 24 in each of the components.
- Two references are required. At least one of these should be an academic reference.
Please see the programme page for full programme fees.
Tick this if you’d like to know more about fees for this course or university– including information for part-time, distance-learning or international students. Why not use the message box below to tell the university which specific fees you’d like to know more about or to ask about funding opportunities?
Tick this if you have questions about getting admitted to courses at this university, including queries about eligible undergraduate degree subjects or academic entry tests.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your existing qualifications and experience?
Tick this is you have questions about studying in a foreign language at this university.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your language proficiency or ask if it accepts specific test scores?
Tick this if you’d like to know more about the application process at this university, including the material you will need to provide and the deadline for submissions.
Why not use the message box below to ask more specific questions, such as requirements for international students?
Tick this if you have a more specific enquiry, or if you would just like more general information (such as a prospectus). Use the message box below to let the university know how it can help you.
Including a specific message makes it easier for universities to help you with your enquiry and application. You can ask about information for international applicants, scholarships, student accommodation or anything else you’d like to know about the course.
* required field
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry