This programme provides students with thorough grounding in the theory, technical and practical skills in the increasingly critical field of Data Science. It includes optional modules in various application domains, drawing on the unique strengths of King's in health, law, the arts and humanities, and the social sciences. The programme will conclude with an individual project, focused either on analysing data from a particular domain, or on exploring computational or statistical methods.
- Unrivalled location in the heart of London giving access to major libraries and leading scientific societies, including the BCS Chartered Institute for IT, and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- Equips graduates with an in-depth understanding of the general principles of the computational and statistical methodologies and methods used in data science, and their underlying assumptions and limitations
- Provides students with the skill set required to plan, undertake, manage, and critically assess a data science project.
- Access to speakers of international repute through seminars and external lectures, enabling students to keep abreast of emerging knowledge in advanced computing and related fields.
Visit the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/data-science-msc.aspx
- Description -
An MSc in Data Science will provide you with the practical skills needed to effectively assemble, collate, store, manage and retrieve data required for data science projects and the critical judgement to decide the appropriate statistical and computational data exploration or analysis techniques to evaluate data science activities and projects.
- Course purpose -
The purpose of this degree programme is to train graduates from quantitative disciplines or with relevant quantitative work experience in current methods and techniques of data science, particularly the science of large-scale data collections. These methods and techniques include both computational techniques and methods from mathematical statistics. The MSc will also provide you with an appreciation for the professional, ethical and legal responsibilities of the data scientist, along with standard conceptual or scientific models in at least one domain of application of data science. Your individual project will typically aim to apply these methods to a problem in a specific application domain, and provide valuable preparation for a career in research or industry.
- Course format and assessment -
Lectures; tutorials; seminars; laboratory sessions; optional career planning workshops. Assessed through: coursework; written examinations; final project report.
- Data Science Individual Projects
- Data Mining & Machine Learning
- Simulation & Reseach Methodology
(without a Computer Science undergraduate degree):
- Computer Programming
- Databases, Data Warehousing & Information Retrieval
Via the Department’s Careers Programme, students are able to network with top employers and obtain advice on how to enhance career prospects.
How to apply: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-courses.aspx
To study for a postgraduate degree at King’s College London
is to study at the city’s most central university and at one of the top 20 universities worldwide (2015/16 QS World Rankings). Graduates will benefit from close connections with the UK’s professional, political, legal, commercial, scientific and cultural life, while the excellent reputation of our MA and MRes programmes ensures our postgraduate alumni are highly sought after by some of the world’s most prestigious employers. We provide graduates with skills that are highly valued in business, government, academia and the professions.
Scholarships & Funding:
All current PGT offer-holders and new PGT applicants are welcome to apply for the scholarships. For more information and to learn how to apply visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/funding/sources
Free language tuition with the Modern Language Centre:
If you are studying for any postgraduate taught degree at King’s you can take a module from a choice of over 25 languages without any additional cost. Visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/mlc