Within the creative and media industries, small groups of people with strong individual talent have often evolved into innovative companies. Our course will help you develop in your own area of expertise, increasing your ability to work creatively with like-minded professionals.
This course gives you the flexibility to study within the broad area of creative technology, while specialising in an area of your choice through option modules. This might encompass emerging 3D computer animation techniques, working on post-production special visual effects or exploring innovative photographic visual effects technologies.
Depending on your choice of options you could also gain a working knowledge of game play and game design, develop a practical understanding of the creative possibilities of the music production studio environment, study the use of innovative sound and audio effects technology or produce audio content and sound design for interactive media and games. Quite simply, we are giving you the opportunity to design your own course.
- Research Excellence Framework 2014: our University demonstrated strength in five emerging areas of research which it entered into the assessment for the first time, including computer science.
Our University welcomes applications from mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential. We usually require some evidence of recent academic study, for example completion of an access course, however recent relevant work experience may also be considered. Please note that for some of our professional courses all applicants will need to meet the specified entry criteria and in these cases work experience cannot be considered in lieu.
Please note that all applicants to our University are required to meet our standard English language requirement of GCSE grade C or equivalent, variations to this will be listed on the individual course entry requirements.
Our course offers a route into a rapidly growing diverse industry with outlets in film, television, music, games, advertising, design and visualisation. As this industry continues to expand, it requires more highly skilled practitioners. This course offers tuition in all of the skills you need to develop your career.
- 3D Animation Programmer - Visual Effects Producer - Audio Visual System Designer - Photo Editor
Careers advice: The dedicated Jobs and Careers team offers expert advice and a host of resources to help you choose and gain employment. Whether you're in your first or final year, you can speak to members of staff from our Careers Office who can offer you advice from writing a CV to searching for jobs.
Creative technology is a unique combination of technical innovation and visual creativity. Delivered by a skilled group of artists, musicians, designers and technologists, we pride ourselves on the diversity of our delivery.
We have excellent equipment and resources including a state-of-the-art motion capture studio, a suite of high quality professional music studios and a highly experienced and skilled teaching team. This, combined with regular visiting speakers from the music and film industries and a range of links with local and national music, arts, and festival organisations, plus animation, games and visual effects companies, ensures that you get the most from your course.
- IT Labs The University is home to a number of modern specialist IT labs equipped with all the up-to-date hardware and software our computing students could need
- Library Our libraries are two of the only university libraries in the UK open 24/7 every day of the year. However you like to study, the libraries have got you covered with group study, silent study, extensive e-learning resources and PC suites.
- Broadcasting Place Broadcasting Place provides students with creative and contemporary learning environments, is packed with the latest technology and is a focal point for new and innovative thinking in the city.