This course will provide you with a dynamic understanding of the fundamentals of banking and finance in today's ever-changing market, preparing you with the knowledge and skill set needed for a successful career within the sector. Our graduates go on to work at companies including KPMG, Deloitte and RBS to name a few.
The MSc Banking and Finance is ideal for graduates who have not studied finance at undergraduate level and is suited to those with a degree in a business, economics or similar subject who wish to develop a career in the banking, finance or financial services sectors.
You will have the opportunity to engage with current business, banking and financial issues through specialist input and the completion of independent study. You will also be able to produce a substantial piece of original research into a banking or finance related issue.
• You will be taught in the internationally recognised multi award-winning Business School on All Saints Campus.
• As a student of the Accounting, Finance and Economics Department, you will have complementary access to Bloomberg, the leading global platform used by the world’s leading banks, corporations and government agencies for news, data, analytics and research.
• Read the latest post on our economics blog at: http://www.business.mmu.ac.uk/eomics
• There are opportunities to focus your assignments on your employment goals, or your current employer.
• You will have extensive access to real world data and academic journals.
• Our academic team includes internationally renowned economists and finance specialists.
• Timetabled lectures and seminars are complemented by the guest lecture series run by the Accounting, Finance and Economics Society.
• Teaching staff on this programme are highly experienced practitioners and active researchers. Read more about the staff from the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
Throughout your studies there is strong provision for employability and gaining graduate employment through our Careers and Employability Hub and a range of additional activities that include:
Live business project
Many employers require graduates who possess a range of skills and knowledge, including experience in the workplace. Masters students of the Business School take a unit called Investigating Business Practice, where you will act as a consultant for a real business. This will develop your project management, team working, client management and business consultancy skills.
In groups, you will be matched with a business organisation that is seeking solutions to an issue that is related to your subject area. You will be expected to meet with the client company, identify the key issues that the client is facing and be required to scope out their specific requirements and business needs, delegate roles and tasks within your team and then respond professionally to this brief, showcasing strategies and proposals that they can realistically implement into their business.
Behind-the-scenes business visits
As a Masters student of the Business School, you have the opportunity to participate in a number of free business visits that allow you to see behind the scenes of real companies and learn about how these businesses are structured and operate. The business visit programme varies each year, the following are indicative of the type of business visits that are available:
• Manchester United Football Club – museum and stadium tour plus guest speaker on business operations
• Robinson’s Brewery – tour of 175 year old family run brewery and guest speaker
• BBC at MediaCityUK - tour of BBC studios at MediaCityUK with an insight into how TV broadcasting works.
• Jaguar LandRover - tour of the LandRover factory including every stage of the assembly process to the finished product.
Professional development weeks
The Faculty of Business and Law hosts two Professional Development Weeks annually. Free and open to all students, this includes a festival of skills-development activities, practical support in developing your CV and employability skills, and the opportunity to network with actively recruiting graduate employers.
Expert guest lectures
A number of guest lectures take place each year with leading speakers from industry. The Business School shares extensive links with over 25 professional bodies including the Chartered Management Institute and the Institute of Leadership and Management. We invite speakers from various industries onto campus as guest lecturers to share their knowledge with current Masters students.
Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or international equivalent, in a business, economics or finance related subject.
Please refer to mmu.ac.uk for the latest fee information.