ACCA is the global body for professional accountants, with 162,000 members, 428,000 students and 91 offices in 173 countries. The ACCA Professional Qualification is therefore recognised and supported by top employers around the world. On qualification, students become Chartered Certified Accountants.
The qualification provides a solid grounding in all areas of business and finance, including reporting, taxation, and audit. In addition, it covers the value added areas of leadership and management, strategy and innovation, and sustainable management accounting. Further, it allows specialisation with option papers at the final level.
ACCA students are required to pass exams and undertake relevant work experience to become Chartered Certified Accountants. Both the exams and the experience requirements are set and approved by ACCA. Students are also required to complete the ACCA’s professional ethics module. See http://www.accaglobal.com for more information.
The University of South Wales has a rich history of providing first class tuition for ACCA, ACA and CIMA Professional Qualifications and we typically teach 300-350 part-time professional accountancy students each year. We also franchise AAT tuition to local further education colleges. Our Professional Tuition Hub is a key element of the School of Law, Accounting & Finance with a focus on professional tuition. We have over 40 years experience of teaching ACCA.
We now offer tuition for the globally recognised ACCA Professional Qualification at both our Newport City and Cardiff campuses.
100% Student Satisfaction
Our new Cardiff based ACCA provision is delivered by the same course team that achieved 100% student satisfaction in the 2015 National Student Survey.
#Tuition for all ACCA papers (F1-F9 and P1-P7) is also available at our Newport City Campus
Learning and teaching methods
We offer a flexible portfolio of ACCA courses at our Newport City (part-time and full-time) and Cardiff (part-time only) campuses.
- ACCA at Atlantic House, Cardiff Campus: ACCA tuition is now available at our Cardiff Campus for papers F7-F8 and Professional Level papers (excluding P4).
The course is delivered on an employer-friendly, afternoon-evening basis. Tuition occurs in weekly slots, with students attending one day per week. Tuition runs between September-December (for examinations in December) and January-June (for examinations in June). September-December deliveries also include additional whole days. Students can commence studies in either September or January.
Course delivery has been designed to offer an excellent platform to learn, with knowledge built up gradually and sustainably through exam question practice which is undertaken week-on-week. This mode of delivery also ensures that students are not required to be absent from their work place for long periods of time.
1. Award winning We offer award winning tuition. We were the PQ Magazine ‘Public Sector Accountancy College of the Year’ in 2010 and 2012, and we have been shortlisted in 2011 and 2013-2015. We also have award winning students. Two of our final year ACCA students have won national prizes in both 2013 and 2014 for final level exam performance. In 2014, presented at the ACCA Cymru Wales annual conference dinner, Lucy Whittington and Farzana Ahmed jointly won the Sir Julian Hodge Prize for highest scores in final level papers in Wales. In 2013, James Leaves won the Terry Weston Memorial Prize, and Lucy Saunders won the Sir Julian Hodge Prize. Furthermore, in 2011, Newport ACCA student Amanda Say was the winner of the PQ Magazine ‘Part-Time Student of the Year’ Award.
2. Choice – We offer tuition in key South Wales locations Our Professional Tuition Hub is located at our state of the art City Campus on the banks of the river Usk in Newport City Centre. Opened in 2011, City Campus has excellent teaching rooms, library and student catering facilities. City Campus is easily accessible from across South Wales and border counties – being near Newport train station and M4 Junctions 27 and 28 – and has ample safe, secure parking on the doorstep. We also offer ACCA tuition at our Cardiff Campus Atlantic House building, situated in the heart of the Cardiff Financial and Professional Services enterprise zone and close to our Atrium building with its first class student amenities.
3. Excellent study and employer resources Study texts and other resources (including progress tests and mock examinations for all papers, to reinforce exam technique) are supplied to our students as part of the tuition fee. Our tuition sessions can be recorded and replayed by students for the duration of the teaching year. Student performance reports for sponsoring employers are available on request.
4. An experienced and focused tuition team Our permanent professional course tuition team consists of 11 qualified accountants and 1 qualified lawyer (plus other subject specialists). Members of the team: • have significant accounting practice and industry ‘first career’ experience, as well as vast experience of teaching students to pass professional exams; • also work/have worked for the private sector tuition providers; • provide CPD sessions for the local professional bodies; and • engage in bespoke CPD training for large organisations.
We are able to supplement our permanent tuition team with excellent local visiting lecturers. Our team regularly attend professional body Lecturers’ Conferences.
5. Professional body relationships We work closely with the professional bodies, locally and nationally. For example: • We were the headline sponsor of the ACCA Wales national conference in 2013 and 2014 • We are members of ACCA’s Exam Review Board • We hosted the ICAEW BASE Business Game in March 2015 • Our Academic Manager is a member of the South Wales Society of Chartered Accountants committee • We have hosted CIMA CPD lectures at City Campus for a number of years • The professional bodies regularly sponsor student prizes
Work Experience and Employment Prospects
The ACCA Professional Qualification is relevant to each and every sector of accountancy and finance and opens up opportunities to work in a variety of different industries and roles across the globe. ACCA students therefore train in all sectors, although a large minority work in accounting practice. Post-qualification, Chartered Certified Accountants can work at the highest levels as chief accountants, finance directors, CEO’s and accounting practice partners, and many change sectors across their careers.