Applied Technologies: Rapid Prototyping and Digital Technologies is a cross-disciplinary programme for creative practitioners interested in research into digital-making and manufacturing.
The aim of the course is to allow you to evaluate and engage with how emerging technologies such as rapid prototyping, generative design, 3d scanning and multi axis machining are changing creative industries and could help you evolve your personal practice. You will benefit from access to Ravensbourne’s state of the art digital prototyping facilities as well as tuition in computer aided design and manufacture and how these skills can be integrated with traditional making methods.
As well as practical techniques, students will have the opportunity to explore:
- Social impacts of increasingly decentralised & automated manufacturing - New form and aesthetics - Material innovation and sustainability - Intellectual property and authorship - Potential for new industries or businesses - Automation of design and making - Development of new manufacturing platforms - Future technological scenarios
The course offers the opportunity to develop and manage an individual area of enquiry and creative development in digital manufacturing, culminating in the realisation of a final major project fully informed by professional and industrial contexts and multi-disciplinary perspectives.
You will receive regular support from tutors, peers and subject-specific group tutorials as part of a constant dialogue to help create a professional and critical understanding of your individual creative process.
The course is suitable for those from a range of fields wishing to diversify and deepen their practice’s relationship with technology, including but not limited to; product designers, engineers, model makers, artists and architects. You will benefit from being an integral part of an intellectually supportive and creative postgraduate community, with whom you can interact and collaborate across multiple disciplines.
Course structure 1. Technology Issues – Within the technology issues unit, students will engage in 3-5 week project cycles that will allow them to explore 3d printing, 3d scanning and other rapid prototyping. These units are structured to encourage students to engage collaboratively with other students of the same and different disciplines.
2. Business and Innovation – Taught during the term prior to the major project unit this unit helps students develop an understanding of business and innovative practises in creative industries. It supports Applied Technologies students in turning their ideas into viable market propositions and long term business plans.
3. Research Process – This unit provides the grounding for the research and development skills needed for students’ individual projects.
4. Concept and Prototyping – Allows students to further develop their skills. To identify a specialist area related to digital manufacturing and to pursue a single line of enquiry, idea or theory and develop, investigate, challenge and test that concept.
5. Major project - The Major project represents the culmination of the students’ investigation and the final stage of the research strategy. This is a substantial piece of self-managed work that is underpinned by advanced practice based methodologies and processes.
Programme Aims All postgraduate courses at Ravensbourne provide students with the opportunity to develop advanced skills in the conceptualisation and practical realisation of innovative creative projects in their discipline area and provide them with the entrepreneurial skills to realise their commercial potential. These courses share the following common aims:
- to develop advanced creative practitioners with the potential to originate, innovate or influence practice in their discipline area;
- to equip students with a comprehensive understanding of the core principles and technology underpinning their creative project and the theoretical frameworks within which to locate it;
- to underpin students’ creative practice with the entrepreneurial skills and business awareness necessary to turn concepts into commercially viable realities;
- to develop students’ skills in independent learning, self-reflection and research skills necessary to sustain advanced creative practice and scholarship;
- to offer a stimulating environment for postgraduate students which is both supportive and flexible in relation to their learning needs and a creative space in which to incubate their ideas.
Enquire About This Course
Tick this if you’d like to know more about fees for this course or university– including information for part-time, distance-learning or international students. Why not use the message box below to tell the university which specific fees you’d like to know more about or to ask about funding opportunities?
Tick this if you have questions about getting admitted to courses at this university, including queries about eligible undergraduate degree subjects or academic entry tests.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your existing qualifications and experience?
Tick this is you have questions about studying in a foreign language at this university.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your language proficiency or ask if it accepts specific test scores?
Tick this if you’d like to know more about the application process at this university, including the material you will need to provide and the deadline for submissions.
Why not use the message box below to ask more specific questions, such as requirements for international students?
Tick this if you have a more specific enquiry, or if you would just like more general information (such as a prospectus). Use the message box below to let the university know how it can help you.
Including a specific message makes it easier for universities to help you with your enquiry and application. You can ask about information for international applicants, scholarships, student accommodation or anything else you’d like to know about the course.
* required field
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry