The School of English at Nottingham has long been at the forefront of research and teaching in the area of applied linguistics.
This web-based MA provides an exciting opportunity to work with several leading world figures and to investigate English language in applied contexts.
You will be introduced to the key ideas and concepts in applied linguistics and provided with thorough training in relevant research methods. This MA is particularly suitable if you wish to pursue a PhD programme after completion of the MA.
The principle of language study that we have established at Nottingham combines theoretical and ideological dimensions with practical applications; we aim to be rigorous and principled while offering an approach to language study that is fundamentally humane.
The MA has intakes in September and February.
- The MA courses by web-based distance learning build on the international reputation of the School of English at Nottingham as one of the foremost centres for English Language research in the world.
- We are ranked 7th for English in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015, in the world top 50 for English Literature, Language and Linguistics (QS World University Rankings 2014) and 9th in the UK for 'research power' (REF 2014).
- The course is taught using a course tool software called Moodle. It is also supported by extensive online resources, course materials and teaching.
- The programme offers an excellent route towards pursuing a PhD.
- This MA is convened in the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics and is among the most popular postgraduate courses of its kind in the UK.
- As well as completing this course at a pace that suits you and your other commitments, you have the flexibility to study towards a Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits), Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits) or an MA (180 credits, including dissertation). Please note that if you wish to study for a Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma you still need to apply for the full MA; you would then elect to leave the course with the alternative award (in Modern English Language) once studying.
- The MA Applied Linguistics is also available as an on-site taught full- or part-time course within the University.