Advance your career by broadening your understanding of research methods and their applications within biomedical sciences. You will enhance your specialist expertise in a specific area and develop your professional ability as a research-oriented scientist with excellent communications skills. Your study will focus on an in-depth research project working alongside experts from our Centre for Biomedical Research.
You'll get to discuss and appraise the latest biomedical science research which will become the basis for taught modules during this course. Your analytical, data handling and presentation skills are developed predominantly in the laboratory environment by carrying out a series of experiments and statistics exercises.
With our new biomedical sciences research laboratory you will be able to conduct project work in a dedicated research environment and will benefit from an enhanced range of equipment.
- Research Excellence Framework 2014: twice as many of our staff - 220 - were entered into the research assessment for 2014 compared to the number entered in 2008
Our University welcomes applications from mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential. We usually require some evidence of recent academic study, for example completion of an access course, however recent relevant work experience may also be considered. Please note that for some of our professional courses all applicants will need to meet the specified entry criteria and in these cases work experience cannot be considered in lieu.
Please note that all applicants to our University are required to meet our standard English language requirement of GCSE grade C or equivalent, variations to this will be listed on the individual course entry requirements.
You will be well prepared to go on to study for a PhD or to follow a career in biomedical sciences research.
- Biomedical Scientist - Medical Research Scientist - Microbiologist
Careers advice: Our dedicated Jobs and Careers team offers expert advice and a host of resources to help you choose and gain employment. Whether you're in your first or final year, you can speak to members of staff from our Careers Office who can offer you advice from writing a CV to searching for jobs.
With our new dedicated biomedical sciences research laboratory (opened in 2013) you will be able to conduct project work in a dedicated research environment and will benefit from an enhanced range of equipment. You will develop the skills needed for a successful research career.
Your research project will be closely linked to the areas of our research expertise with the opportunity to explore topics such as:
- the use of molecular methods to detect adulterated food - studies on protein expression in bacteria - pain science and non drug approaches to pain relief - nutritional biochemistry - development and validation of ELISA techniques - the interactions of pyocyanin with host biochemistry - the Effects of Bacterial Metabolism on pH of Simulated Wound Conditions - development and Testing of New Smart-Bandage Sensing Technologies.
As a postgraduate student you will work alongside many other students, both undergraduate and postgraduate, and be closely linked to active research work in biomedical sciences. Our teaching team is often highly commended by students and staff for their innovative teaching methods and support for students.
Margarita Gomez Escalada
"Our courses are heavily research orientated - we teach research methods, laboratory techniques and students undertake an extended research project."
Margarita recently produced internationally-recognised research treating acne with herbal compounds. Working with a student, she discovered that an extract of thyme was more effective than traditional chemical-based creams.
- Biomedical Research Laboratory The latest scientific testing equipment lets you put your learning into practice and break new ground in biomedical research.
- Library Our Library is one of the only university libraries in the UK open 24/7 every day of the year. However you like to study, our Library has you covered with group study, silent study, extensive e-learning resources and PC suites.
- Food Inspection Laboratory Our hygienic laboratory can be used to develop practical food specimen inspection skills.