Algal Biotechnology is a new and rapidly expanding discipline that seeks to understand and harness the resources from one of the most diverse groups of organisms on the planet.
Algae, and their natural products, are still relatively untapped. They have a huge range of potential applications globally including pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, biofuels, ethical cosmetics, novel enzymes, green fertilisers, green insecticides, bioremediation materials, and many more.
The aim of this biotechnology masters is to produce highly motivated scientists with the skills, knowledge and abilities to secure exciting careers in this rapidly expanding area of research and industry.
• You will have access to state-of-the-art laboratory facilities at the Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI in Oban and benefit from face-to-face tuition delivered by active biotechnology researchers.
• You will gain direct hands-on experience in this rapidly expanding field and be given the opportunity to engage with industry experts.
• The extended research project will enable you to develop an in-depth understanding of a particular area of interest.
As a fundamental part of advancing your research and employability skills, you will be given an opportunity to develop:
Practical laboratory and analytical skills
Project and financial management
Research writing and presentation
Public engagement and knowledge exchange
To achieve the award of Masters by Research you must complete a research project and dissertation.
This course is available at Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI, Scottish Marine Institute, Oban, PA37 1QA
From 2017, eligible Scotland domiciled students studying full time can access loans up to 10,000 from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).This comprises a tuition fee loan up to £5,500 and a non-income assessed living cost loan of £4,500. EU students studying full time can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £5500.
Part-time students undertaking any taught postgraduate course over two years up to Masters level who meet the residency eligibility can apply for a for a tuition fee loan up to £2,750 per year.
Full details can be found on the SAAS website. Applications for loans open in April.
Students from the rest of the UK who meet the eligibility requirements may be able to apply for a loan from the Student Loan Company
You may also be able to apply for a government Professional and Career Development Loan
Please visit the Scholarships and Funding website http://www.uhi.ac.uk/en/studying-at-uhi/first-steps/how-much-will-it-cost/tuition-fees-postgraduate
See Scholarships tab below for full details
Top five reasons to study at UHI
1. Do something different: our reputation is built on our innovative approach to learning and our distinctive research and curriculum which often reflects the unique environment and culture of our region and closely links to vocational skills required by a range of sectors.
2. Flexible learning options mean that you can usually study part time or full time. Some courses can be studied fully online from home or work, others are campus-based.
3. Choice of campuses – we have campuses across the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Each campus is different from rich cultural life of the islands; the spectacular coasts and mountains; to the bright lights of our city locations.
4. Small class sizes mean that you have a more personal experience of university and receive all the support you need from our expert staff
5. The affordable option - if you already live in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland you don't have to leave home and incur huge debts to go to university; we're right here on your doorstep
How to apply
If you want to apply for this postgraduate programme click on the ‘visit website’ button below which will take you to the relevant course page on our website, from there select the Apply tab to complete our online application.
If you still have any questions please get in touch with our information line by email using the links beow or call on 0845 272 3600.
If you would like to study in a country of outstanding natural beauty, friendly communities, and cities buzzing with social life and activities, the Highlands and Islands of Scotland should be your first choice. We have campuses across the region each one with its own special characteristics from the rich cultural life of the islands to the bright city lights of Perth and Inverness. Some courses are available in one location only, for others you will have a choice; we also have courses that can be studied online from your own home country. .http://www.uhi.ac.uk/en/studying-at-uhi/international
English Language Requirements
Our programmes are taught and examined in English. To make the most of your studies, you must be able to communicate fluently and accurately in spoken and written English and provide certified proof of your competence before starting your course. Please note that English language tests need to have been taken no more than two years prior to the start date of the course. The standard English Language criteria to study at the University of the Highlands and Islands
are detailed on our English language requirements page http://www.uhi.ac.uk/en/studying-at-uhi/international/how-to-apply-to-uhi/english-language-requirements
2:2 honours degree in a relevant biological or marine subjectOther qualifications will be considered, along with relevant professional experience, on an individual basisInternational students whose first language is not English must also meet the language competency standards detailed on the International page of the websiteYou may be required to attend an interview