Visit our website for more information on fees, scholarships, postgraduate loans and other funding options to study Advanced Software Technology at Swansea University - 'Welsh University of the Year 2017' (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017).
Computing is about data, algorithms, programs and computers. It is a young academic discipline and is rich in applications, since computing systems are everywhere: in science and engineering, medicine, design and manufacture, commerce and public service, defence, transportation, arts and the media, and the home.
The MSc Advanced Software Technology is suitable you if you are a Computer Science graduate or have gained some experience of computing and basic programming in your first degree. This programme in Advanced Software Technology will also be of interest to you If you have substantial relevant experience gained from working in a computer related environment for some time and are looking to update or broaden your knowledge.
Key Features of Advanced Software Technology MSc
• We are top in the UK for career prospects*
• We are 3rd in the UK for teaching quality**
• 5th in the UK overall*
• 7th in the UK for student satisfaction with 98% [National Student Survey 2016]
• 7th in the UK overall and Top in Wales*
• High employability prospects - we are 8th in the UK for graduate prospects*
• 92% in graduate employment or further study six months after leaving University [HESA data 2014/15]
• UK TOP 20 for Research Excellence [Research Excellence Framework 2014]
• Our Project Fair allows students to present their work to local industry
• Strong links with industry
• £31m Computational Foundry for computer and mathematical sciences will provide the most up-to-date and high quality teaching facilities featuring world-leading experimental set-ups, devices and prototypes to accelerate innovation and ensure students will be ready for exciting and successful careers. (From September 2018)
*Guardian University Guide 2017
**Times & Sunday Times University Guide 2016
Modules of Advanced Software Technology MSc
Modules for the MSc in Advanced Software Technology include Computer Science Project Research Methods but please visit our course page for more information.
The Department of Computer Science is well equipped for teaching, and is continually upgrading its laboratories to ensure equipment is up-to-date – equipment is never more than three years old, and rarely more than two. Currently, our Computer Science students use three fully networked laboratories: one, running Windows; another running Linux; and a project laboratory, containing specialised equipment. These laboratories support a wide range of software, including the programming languages Java, C# and the .net framework, C, C++, Haskell and Prolog among many; integrated programme development environments such as Visual Studio and Netbeans; the widely-used Microsoft Office package; web access tools; and many special purpose software tools including graphical rendering and image manipulation tools; expert system production tools; concurrent system modelling tools; World Wide Web authoring tools; and databases.
As part of the expansion of the Department of Computer Science, we are building the Computational Foundry on our Bay Campus for computer science and mathematical science.
All Computer Science courses will provide you the transferable skills and knowledge to help you take advantage of the excellent employment and career development prospects in an ever growing and changing computing and ICT industry.
94% of our Postgraduate Taught Graduates of Computer Science were in professional level work or study [DLHE 14/15]
“One of the main reasons I chose Swansea was because of the excellent reputation of the Computer Science Department which is ranked among the top 25 in the UK. The Lecturers in the Department are excellent, and are equally very accessible to students. Many are actively involved in world class research. Their knowledge is shared with us in lectures. I love Swansea. I have recently completed the MSc and intend to gain further experience in the software industry before pursuing a PhD at Swansea University. “
Manikanta Gudur - MSc in Advanced Computer Science Graduate