This programme provides a framework for postgraduate study which offers Registered Veterinary Nurses (RVNs) the opportunity to advance their knowledge, improve research skills, and practice evidence based veterinary nursing. The programme is flexible and allows individuals to directly align their studies to areas that are of interest to them, or are directly relevant to their current or future roles. The programme is intended to meet the needs of anyone seeking a flexible and adaptable route to a successful postgraduate degree, or who wish to undertake postgraduate-level study for continual professional development purposes at an advanced level.
Why this programme
● This is the first fully online postgraduate qualification designed specifically for RVNs currently being delivered in Scotland. The part-time and online nature of the programme means it is ideally suited to individuals who are in full-time employment.
● The University of Glasgow’s School of Veterinary Medicine is ranked 2nd in the UK (Complete University Guide 2016).
● The University of Glasgow ranked top amongst UK Vet Schools in the National Student Survey (2016) with 98% overall student satisfaction, and the School of Veterinary Medicine combines both teaching excellence and a supportive learning environment.
● The programme reflects the need for tomorrow’s RVNs to be involved in lifelong self-directed learning. It supports RVNs to become adaptive to the dynamic care environments that they work in, supports their delivery of quality care, and promotes the use of best practice techniques.
● The programme offers specialist education in veterinary nursing which encompasses a core set of specialised skills, knowledge and competencies, supplemented by a choice of additional specialised areas including research, education, business management, ethics and best practice.
● Close involvement of experts from different fields of veterinary nursing and the wider veterinary industry in the planning and delivery of courses ensures that the programme is current and relevant.
The MSc Advanced Practice in Veterinary Nursing comprises three components:
[[Three core courses (Year 1) ]]
• Introduction to research and evidence based veterinary nursing • Clinical governance in veterinary medicine • Developing evidence informed practice through independent learning
Three optional courses (Year 2)
• Promoting best practice in veterinary nursing • Animal and veterinary ethics • Introduction to teaching and assessment in veterinary nursing • Introduction to statistical methods • Introduction to veterinary business studies
Dissertation (Year 3)
The programme is delivered fully online using a range of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, tutorials, work-based learning and project work. You will have the flexibility to tailor the subject of many of your assessments and final dissertation to disciplines or specialisms that are relevant and of interest to you and/or your future career.
The online and part-time nature of this programme, and the flexibility this route offers, makes it ideally suited to individuals in full-time employment.