This MACP-approved postgraduate programme provides physiotherapists with an opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills required for working as advanced practitioners in neuromusculoskeletal physiotherapy within a broad spectrum of health and society.
The programme emphasises and facilitates the integration of evidence from a wide variety of sources using research-focused lectures, seminars and practical workshops. We will provide you with the skills and knowledge to become advanced practitioners who are able to comprehensively assess and manage individuals with neuromusculoskeletal problems and design, implement and evaluate rehabilitation programmes tailored to the needs of individuals with neuromusculoskeletal problems. The MSc combines strong academic and scientific content with practical workshops taught by experienced expert clinicians.
- Internationally and nationally respected research-active teaching staff. - Graduation from the programme confers eligibilty for registration as a member of the Musculoskeletal Association of Chartered Physiotherapists. - Excellent graduate employment rates. - Facilitates career progression in a diverse range of physiotherapy careers eg extended scope practitioner, consultant / clinical specialist physiotherapist, private physiotherapy practitioner, educator and researcher.
This programme equips physiotherapists with the skills and knowledge to become advanced practitioners who are able to:
- Comprehensively assess and manage individuals with neuromusculoskeletal problems;
- Design, implement and evaluate rehabilitation programmes tailored to the needs of individuals with neuromusculoskeletal problems.
Modules include clinical science subjects (anatomy. biomechanics, pain physiology and muscle and exercise physiology) as well as those focussing on physiotherapy practice.
The transference of knowledge into clinical practice is facilitated during practical sessions in college and on professional practice (clinical) placements. Students who successfully complete the programme are eligible for MACP (Musculoskeletal Association of Chartered Physiotherapists) membership. The programme also supports students in their development of research skills and completion of a project.
- Course purpose
This programme provides the educational opportunities that will enable physiotherapists to develop the knowledge, research understanding, clinical, analytical and reasoning skills required for advanced physiotherapy assessment and management of people with neuromusculoskeletal conditions.
- Course format and assessment
Delivered by a combination of taught lectures, seminars, prosections, practical sessions, clinical practice placements and self-directed learning.
The MSc programme can be completed full-time over one year or part-time over two years. Other study options include; a PGDip in Advanced Phsiotheraphy (Neuromusculoskeletal) or the MSc modules can also be taken as stand-alone modules (with the exception of the Clinical Education and Research project modules).
- Occupational Health Clearance and Disclosure and Barring service (DBS, formerly known as CRB) clearance checks are required.
- Registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and professional indemnity cover (usually provided by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists) are required to undertake the programme.