This MSc Advanced Clinical Practitioner course is for healthcare professionals who want to extend the scope of their practice regarding consultation, assessment, diagnosis and therapeutic interventions.
Modern healthcare services are dynamic, diverse and challenging, often requiring care and interventions delivered by healthcare practitioners with advanced clinical skills and sound theoretical knowledge. This course will allow you to develop your skills at an advanced level, thereby meeting the requirements set by National Leadership and Innovation Agency for Healthcare (NLIAH).
You will develop your understanding of altered physiology to effectively assess patients health or ill health status. In addition you will study research methods, influences on current health care practices and independent prescribing.
The MSc can be achieved within three years and you will need to be supported by a medical and professional mentor in practice.
- Clinical Conditions 1 This will involve developing your understanding of altered physiological processes in relation to cardiovascular, respiratory and musculoskeletal disease processes, for example Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), heart failure and Myasthenia Gravis disease.
- Clinical Skills 1 This will involve further developing your knowledge and skills in relation to examining patients with cardiac, respiratory and musculosketal diseases. This will include completing a comprehensive patient medical history, thoroughly examining each system mentioned above and identifying their treatment and management plan based on an individual clinical presentation.
- Influences on practice You will debate the political, legal and professional influences on advanced practice in context with today’s healthcare system. Professional influences include considering the role of advanced practice within the Welsh Advanced Practice Framework. Legal influences include accountability and political influences will address the requirements advocated by Welsh Government.
Year Two: - Clinical conditions 2 This will involve developing your understanding of altered physiological processes in relation to endocrine, neurological and abdominal disease processes, for example Diabetes and Thyroid disease, Parkinson’s disease, liver and gut diseases.
- Clinical Skills 2 You will continue to develop your knowledge and skills in relation to examining patients with endocrine, neurological and abdominal disease. This will include completing a comprehensive patient medical history, thoroughly examining each system mentioned above and identifying their treatment and management plan based on an individual clinical presentation.
- Research methods You will learn how to critically evaluate a range of research methodologies.
- Dissertation You will choose a topic relevant to your own area of practice and critically evaluate the role of the advanced practitioner within your area. - Independent Prescribing or
Optional module: - Critical reflection on learning in the workplace. - Leading effective teams in health & social care.
There is a dedicated route for paediatric practitioners.
Learning and teaching methods
You will attend the University one day a week. First year students will study on Mondays, whilst second and third years are taught on Thursdays.
You will be taught by a variety of methods including tutorials, lectures, case study presentations, peer presentations, and problem-based learning. You will also undertake practicals in our Clinical Simulation suite as well as in actual clinical practice.
Work Experience and Employment Prospects
On this degree, you will develop a range of clinical skills in greater depth and gain the knowledge to assess, diagnose and treat patients.
Study of relevant protocols, policy and research will complement this to allow safe practice at an advanced level.
Assessments include written examinations, assignments and OSCEs (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations). The OSCE’s will take place in May each year and be completed as part of the clinical skills modules and involve undertaking a comprehensive patient history, examining a particular bodily system, and identifying a management and treatment plan for the individual.
Our state of the art Clinical Simulation Centre is set up to replicate an acute care NHS environment, providing realistic clinical facilities for our Nursing and Midwifery students and qualified healthcare professionals.
Tick this if you’d like to know more about fees for this course or university– including information for part-time, distance-learning or international students. Why not use the message box below to tell the university which specific fees you’d like to know more about or to ask about funding opportunities?
Tick this if you have questions about getting admitted to courses at this university, including queries about eligible undergraduate degree subjects or academic entry tests.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your existing qualifications and experience?
Tick this is you have questions about studying in a foreign language at this university.
Why not use the message box below to tell the university about your language proficiency or ask if it accepts specific test scores?
Tick this if you’d like to know more about the application process at this university, including the material you will need to provide and the deadline for submissions.
Why not use the message box below to ask more specific questions, such as requirements for international students?
Tick this if you have a more specific enquiry, or if you would just like more general information (such as a prospectus). Use the message box below to let the university know how it can help you.
Including a specific message makes it easier for universities to help you with your enquiry and application. You can ask about information for international applicants, scholarships, student accommodation or anything else you’d like to know about the course.
* required field
Please correct the errors indicated below to send your enquiry