• Goldsmiths, University of London Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Southampton Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Edinburgh Featured Masters Courses
  • Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH Featured Masters Courses
  • Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine Featured Masters Courses
  • Anglia Ruskin University Featured Masters Courses
  • Swansea University Featured Masters Courses
  • University of Edinburgh Featured Masters Courses
Cranfield University Featured Masters Courses
University of Manchester Featured Masters Courses
Bocconi University Featured Masters Courses
Nottingham Trent University Featured Masters Courses
Bath Spa University Featured Masters Courses

Course content


There are 3 formal progression points:
- Post Graduate Certificate in Advanced Health Assessment & Clinical Decision Making (60 Credits)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advancing Clinical Practice (120 Credits)
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (180 Credits)

MSc in Advanced Clinical Practice approved and supported through Health Education England working across the West Midlands and the West Midlands Universities Advanced Practice Group.

See the website https://www.keele.ac.uk/pgtcourses/mscadvancedclinicalpractice/

Course Aims

It is expected that on completion of this Award the student will be a recognised Advanced Clinical Practitioner (HEWM, 2015) with an expert knowledge base, complex decision-making skills and clinical competencies for expanded autonomous scope of practice, the characteristics of which are shaped by the context in which the individual practices.

Entry Requirements

New entrants to Advanced Clinical Practice:
Also, to become an Advanced Clinical Practitioner must have:
Commitment to providing protected learning time for the trainee Advanced Clinical Practitioner during the MSc and this is equivalent to:
- One day a week in University (or equivalent) reading, writing and other academic activities.
- One day a week protected time for supported clinical practice (or equivalent)

- Applicants without a first degree:
Universities have a separate policy for applicants who do not hold a first degree at 2:2 but have substantial and relevant clinical or prior study experience.

- Exisiting Practitioners:
Existing Practitioners who are currently working in an Advanced Clinical Practice role and do not have a MSc level of education have options to either complete the Masters or continue in the role and update in-line with their CPD requirements.
There are ‘Top Up’ arrangements for existing Practitioners who do not have a full Masters degree. They have the option to complete the degree and to do this they would need to be in a relevant Advanced Clinical Practice post and supported by their organisation.

- Employers:
All organisations supporting staff to undertake an Advanced Clinical Practice course will need to ensure as part of their workforce plans the role of Advanced Clinical Practitioner is embedded within their organisation structures. Once the trainee is a qualified Advanced Clinical Practitioner, there will need to be on-going support from the Trust

Teaching & Assessment

The MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Award is a programme of 180 credits aimed at multi-professional groups delivered by HEIs in the West Midlands which aims to meet the contemporary challenges of advanced clinical practice, using a blended leaning approach, including:
- Inter-professional classroom based sessions including, seminars, tutorials, library, self-directed, KLE activities
- Clinical Competency Portfolio
- Reflective Journal
- Written assignments
- Clinical skills education using simulation
- Physical examination
- Shadowing
- Coaching
- Supervision and Mentoring
- Patient / Carer feedback

Approximately 80% of the curriculum for the MSc Advanced Clinical Practice is recognised as ‘core’ curriculum applicable to an Advanced Clinical Practitioner working in any health discipline and setting. The other 20% of the curriculum will be negotiated between Keele and you in order to consider education/training/modules required to support your advanced clinical role.

Additional Costs

Apart from additional costs for text books, inter-library loans and potential overdue library fines we do not anticipate any additional costs for this postgraduate programme.

Find information on Scholarships here - http://www.keele.ac.uk/studentfunding/bursariesscholarships/

Visit the Advanced Clinical Practice (MSc) page on the Keele University website for more details!





Enquire About This Course

Recipient: Keele University

Insert previous message below for editing? 
You haven’t included a message. Providing a specific message means universities will take your enquiry more seriously and helps them provide the information you need.
Why not add a message here
* required field
Send a copy to me for my own records.

Your enquiry has been emailed successfully

Cookie Policy    X