This programme aims to provide you with a strong professionally oriented training in accounting. You will study the professional syllabus of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), and will obtain exemptions from all six professional-level papers of the exams needed to gain chartered accountant status (subject to validation of the programme by ICAEW), as well as receiving preparation to sit the final advanced-level papers.
The programme will equip you with:
• intellectual skills and theoretical understanding appropriate to the study of accounting at postgraduate level
• an awareness of key current issues, theory and practice in the field of accounting
• skills in professional accounting and financial decision-making, evaluation and analysis of financial data, and the techniques to evaluate and act upon complex financial and tax-related issues encountered in practice
• the knowledge necessary for qualifying and operating as a chartered accountant
• Financial Strategy
• Financial Accounting and Reporting
• Audit and Assurance
• Business Strategy and Management
• Business Planning - Taxation
• Tax Compliance
• Corporate Reporting and Auditing I and II
• Strategic Business Management
• Integrated Case Study
What are my career prospects?
The programme is designed to prepare you to qualify as a chartered accountant with ICAEW, and it is also useful preparation towards other professional accountancy exams, such as those offered by ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants). Students who successfully complete the programme and achieve grade levels stipulated by ICAEW, in addition to the four or more ICAEW paper exemptions that the student must already hold to enter the programme, and who then pass the Advanced Level papers, will have completed the examination requirements necessary to become a Chartered Accountant with ICAEW. After then satisfying the professional work experience component, you will be able to apply to become a Chartered Accountant with ICAEW.
Our overall aim on the programme is to prepare you for the workplace from day one. Our Master of Science in Professional Accounting programme provides you with a comprehensive up-to-date knowledge of contemporary international financial reporting and auditing, and is highly relevant to solving the challenges that face organisations today in their business planning. You will also have the opportunity to meet high profile people from the business world, and exploit our strong links with ICAEW, as well as attending the networking events that we run with local employers from time to time, and events delivered by recruiting organisations on campus.
NOTE: ICAEW ACCREDITATION IS STILL OUTSTANDING AND AN APPLICATION IS IN PROGRESS.