The web revolution has generated a social interactive environment that creates new business opportunities for enterprises. Many international software development enterprises such as IBM, HP, Microsoft, Google and SAS have their own social computing/media development teams. Other IT enterprises, such as Apple, Oracle, CISCO and Nokia, own products with social computing functions. Similarly, many national and international companies successfully turn significant profits through social network sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Yahoo, Twitter, Google, Myspace, Amazon, Sina Weibo, TaoBao, RenRen and QQ.
This programme addresses market demand by providing you with training for understanding, managing, developing, implementing and commercialising interactive social media on the internet. It will train you for advanced technical or managerial roles in new interdisciplinary areas of social informatics and internet computing. You will gain:
• theoretical and practical knowledge of key areas of social business and social computing in today’s industry and research
• key tools enabling you to enhance and apply your skills in management, design and implementation of IT-based solutions to social business and computation domains
• practical skills in research, analysis, realisation and evaluation of the technical or research documents in social commerce and social computing
You will complete eight in the first two semesters and a dissertation project in the third semester for a total duration of 18 months. The precise content of your dissertation project will be discussed and decided with your project supervisor and is subject to approval. The department is equipped with specialist lab facilities for operating systems, networking, mobile computing and multimedia technology that will support your learning and research.
• Cloud Computing
• Project Management
• Research Methods
• Social Media Marketing
• Social Network Analysis
• Social Web Programming
• Computer Systems Security
• Data Mining and Big Data Analytics
• Interactive Systems
• Object Oriented Programming
• Social Commerce
What are my career prospects?
Graduates from this programme will find employment research and development engineers, systems developers and project leaders in an IT companies. Some students choose to go on to further studies as a PhD candidate at XJTLU or a renowned overseas university.