The proportion of Seniors is accelerating rapidly, and Seniors are expected to account for nearly one-quarter of British Columbia’s population by 2036. Currently nearly 15 per cent of the population older than 85 resides in a public or private care facility. While many services are provided in the public sector there is an increasing number and range of services for Seniors in the private and non-profit sectors as well. These demographic trends highlight the pressing need for health professionals with sector-relevant and cross-disciplinary technical skills who can create the future of Seniors care in community and institutional contexts.
The Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) in Seniors Care is an intensive one-year degree program that equips you with the skills needed to improve patient outcomes and help create the future of Seniors health care. The project-based curriculum follows the industry value chain, maintaining a strong focus on organizational models of practice that promote ethical, equitable and socially sustainable policies and practices in Seniors care. While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
The MHLP in Seniors Care is a unique graduate program that empowers you to develop the sector-relevant cross-disciplinary technical skills that are acutely needed in this field. No other Canadian institution currently offers sector-focused (rather than research-oriented) training at the graduate level. It has been developed in close collaboration with public and private sector partners, who told us they are challenged to find people with the cross-functional technical and leadership skills needed to develop innovative solutions, manage collaborative teams and lead projects.
To complement your academic studies, professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover a range of topics such as:
-Giving and receiving feedback
-Learning how to deliver a successful pitch
The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MHLP and MEL programs.
Our graduates will be in high demand in the private and public sector. Job opportunities could include conceptualizing and leading Seniors-focused clinical programs, leading and managing services for Seniors in a range of settings, as well as proposing or analyzing policy initiatives tor Seniors care.