RESEARCH STRENGTHS AND FACILITIES
The Department of Medical Genetics Graduate Program is a leading program that attracts students from all over Canada and the world. The Program offers Master’s and Doctoral programs that take place in Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable cities, at locations affiliated with the University of British Columbia, an institution which is consistently ranked among the world’s best universities.
The Department is composed of dozens of faculty members at the forefront of their fields who use cutting edge genetic, epigenetic, genomic, and bioinformatic methodologies to gain insight into diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, neurodegenerative and neurological disorders, and other genetic diseases. Research is highly interactive and often involves local, national, and international collaborations which further enrich the research experience.
Individual labs conduct clinical and/or translational research and basic experimental research engaging a wide variety of approaches including the use of model organisms such as mice, flies (D. melanogaster), worms (C. elegans), and yeast (S. cerevisiae). Prospective students with interests in the investigative areas below have an opportunity to pursue world class research in labs affiliated with the Medical Genetics Graduate Program.
Areas of Research
- Developmental genetics and birth defects
- Epigenetics and chromosome transmission
- Genomics and bioinformatics
- Genetic epidemiology and human gene mapping
- Neurogenetics and immunogenetics
- Stem cells and gene therapy
- Clinical genetics, genetic counselling, ethics and policy
- Degree: Master of Science
- Specialization: Medical Genetics
- Subject: Life Sciences
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Program components: Coursework + Thesis required
- Faculty: Faculty of Medicine