The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in High Performance Buildings is an intensive one-year degree program for engineers and architects who want to make a difference in the building sector. You’ll graduate from this program with a strong technical foundation in energy systems design modelling, equipping you to be a technical leader in the integrated design, construction and maintenance of green building energy systems. This technical foundation is balanced by courses in leadership and business, giving you a powerful skillset for overseeing the design of green buildings, from the initial planning stages through to implementation and operation.
The project-based curriculum has three primary areas of focus: architectural courses on green building design and regenerative development; engineering courses on energy modelling and design, and two interdisciplinary capstone projects where you will work with clients to develop real-world solutions to their design challenges. While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
Graduates of this program will have the technical and leadership skills to improve the energy performance of existing buildings and design integrated high-performance energy systems for new buildings.
The MEL in High Performance Building degree was developed in close collaboration with industry partners, who spoke to us of the high demand for high-performance building experts. Government and industry employers are seeking professionals who have the creative and visionary skills to develop the processes and systems that can lead to lasting change, and who have the cross-functional technical and business skills to propose innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects.
To complement your academic studies, professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover a range of topics such as:
-Giving and receiving feedback
-Learning how to deliver a successful pitch
The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs.
Energy use in buildings is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, making it a high priority to design more energy-efficient buildings and retrofit existing buildings. This is a growing sector, with opportunities in consulting, construction, manufacturing and government. With governments at all levels increasing the standards for energy conservation, there is a need for professionals who can take leadership in designing the integrated high-performing energy systems in our built environment. Examples of typical graduate job roles include Engineering consultant, LEED professional, city or municipal planner, code and bylaw developer, project manager in architectural & engineering firms, building energy auditor and energy manager.