This programme will provide you with a solid understanding of financial markets, securities and investment management theories and strategies. You will also grasp the complexities of contemporary economics and financial principals and how these apply to decision-making in financial intermediation, savings and investment. The programme is designed to meet the growing demand amongst banks, fund managers, regulators and other financial institutions in China and Asia more broadly for graduates who have a specialist knowledge and understanding of financial markets and investment management.
This is a practiced-based degree with the objective of preparing you for employment in the financial markets after graduation, though it can also serve as a base for further academic study. IBSS has partnered with Thomson Reuters to offer students on this programme privileged access to the on-campus Financial Lab and Trading Floor and a wealth of analytics and data on global financial markets for both study and research purposes.
Distinctive features of the programme are:
Recognition by the CFA Institute
• Incorporates over 70% of the CFA Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK)
• Accepted by the CFA Institute University Recognition Programme
• Provides solid grounding in the CBOK and knowledge for CFA exams
IBSS Financial Lab and Trading Floor
• Contains the Thomson Reuters EIKON system
• Access to a world of data for study and research
• Includes data feeds from Datastream and Thomson 1
• Training by Thomson Reuter staff on the EIKON system
• Thomson Reuters EIKON training certificate
• Financial Analysis
• Quantitative Methods for Finance
• Financial Markets
• Introduction to Money and Banking
• Securities Operations Management
• Ethical and Professional Standards
• Advanced Corporate Finance
• Alternative Investment and Strategies
• Fixed Income and Derivative Instruments
• Portfolio Management
• Industry Research Project
What are my career prospects?
Investment is a critical part of the financial industry. As a result, graduates of this specialised area of study are in demand by banks, fund managers, regulators and many other participants in the financial markets. In Asia, investment management is still in the early industry stage of high growth and the demand in China and Asia in general for graduates from this programme is growing quickly.
Recognition by the CFA Institute
This programme has been designed to map to the CFA Program Candidate Body of KnowledgeTM (CBOK) and has been formally recognised under the CFA Institute University Recognition Program. In enrolling for this programme, you will be enrolled in CFA Level I exam for the following June and receive the CFA Institute Investment Series, published by Wiley.
Thomson Reuters Financial Lab
IBSS is unique in China with the IBSS Financial Lab and Trading Floor. This trading and analytics room, with 25 positions, contains the Thomson Reuters EIKON system, used by financial institutions around the world for both trading and analysis purposes. With this sophisticated terminal also comes the data feeds from both Datastream and Thomson 1, giving you access to a world of data for study and research purposes. On arrival, you will be trained to use EIKON by Thomson Reuters staff and those who successfully pass the exam at the end will get the Thomson Reuters EIKON certificate, a valuable addition to the CV of anyone that wants to enter into the financial industry, whether in China or abroad.