The Master of Diplomacy (Advanced) is your pathway to professional advancement and higher degree research, equipping you with knowledge about practices of international affairs and real-world skills to effectively represent your country or organisation at an international level. The degree provides exciting study and career options in the important and prestigious arena of diplomatic practice. You will be taught by internationally recognised research scholars from the Asia-Pacific College of Diplomacy and senior diplomats from Australia and elsewhere, and you will graduate from a world-class university, positioning you firmly in the centre of a global network of leading scholars and policy-makers.
Ideal for careers in the foreign ministries and in the international sections of other ministries - for example Australia Awards, Defence, Prime Minister and Cabinet, Immigration, Trade, Environment; IGOs - United Nations, World Bank and International Monetary Fund; Journalism and NGOs such as the Red Cross.
Upon successful completion, students should have the skills and knowledge to:
1. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of transnational diplomacy and its contemporary challenges, from the perspective of multiple actors, such as a civil service department, multilateral body, international corporation or non-government organisation;
2. Display effective diplomatic skills with the ability to engage with transnational issues in a globalised environment with the use of negotiation, persuasion, advocacy and protocol
3. Use theories of diplomatic studies to reflect upon the global management of the world’s problems through diplomatic dialogue, and the role of the use of force, and design multi-stakeholder processes that lead to solutions;
4. Use advanced research and writing skills to undertake self-directed study in diplomacy and communicate findings in academic and practical contexts in the form of a sub-thesis, justifying their approach and methods as appropriate.
5. Use their knowledge and skills to analyse new areas of concern in both scholarly and policy-relevant terms to produce a significant piece of independent academic research.
This degree offers advanced studies in economics and econometrics.
It provides a strong foundation and training in:
The Master of Economics is designed for students with prior training in economics or a cognate discipline with a strong analytical/mathematical component, who wish to acquire the advanced skills needed to practice as a professional economist in the public or private sectors. The program is also an appropriate foundation for further PhD study.