Lead the world of pathology
Join this unique residency programme to learn from the largest collection of veterinary pathologists in the southern hemisphere.
Find out more about the Master of Veterinary Studies parent structure.
Massey University has the largest pathology department in the southern hemisphere. Our team of veterinary pathologists that include five pathologists that are boarded by the American College of Veterinary Pathology will help you develop your own expertise in this fascinating and sought-after speciality residency.
Massey University deals with a broad range of animals, from companion and production animals to exotic animals that may go off-track and wash up on our shores. That means that you will gain pathology knowledge of a wide variety of animal species.
Massey University’s veterinary programme is ranked in the top 50 universities worldwide by both the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) ranking and ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects.
This course is run on our Manawatu campus in Palmerston North. Host to the only veterinary school in New Zealand, Massey University’s well-equipped facilities include an equine hospital, 24-hour pet hospital and sheep, beef, dairy and deer farms, all located near campus. The Wildbase wildlife hospital is the only dedicated wildlife hospital in New Zealand and underwent a $1.44 million expansion in 2016.
You will have access to our other world-leading science facilities such as modern laboratories for virology and bacteriology, molecular and immunohistochemical work.
This is a residency programme that operates under the entry requirements of the Master of Veterinary Studies (MVS).
The content of the course is similar to a residency - clinical work with a small thesis - and, like other residencies, has very restricted entry numbers.
This is not a paid residency. It operates as the MVS and any of its associated entry requirements and student fees (which will be dependent upon your residency status) will apply.
Pathology is a part of veterinary medicine that is particularly hands-on and as such demands a high level of learning ‘on the job’. That is why this particular endorsement of the Master of Veterinary Studies is a clinical residency programme. There are no lectures or structured taught component to this programme, instead you will be guided by our world-leading pathologists, working on real-life cases.
Around 80% of your time will be working with pathologists performing gross necropsy examinations as well as learning how to make microscopic diagnoses and describe disease processes within necropsy reports. The remaining 20% will see you complete a research thesis in an area of interest to you.
This programme has very limited openings. Applicants are only selected into the program when space becomes available.
The position is initially for two years. If you achieve academic milestones, the program can be extended to three years which will make you eligible to sit the ACVP board exams and practice in a wide range of countries.
Postgraduate study is hard work but hugely rewarding and empowering. The Master of Veterinary Studies will push you to produce your best creative, strategic and theoretical ideas. The workload replicates the high-pressure environment of senior workplace roles. Our experts are there to guide but if you have come from undergraduate study, you will find that postgraduate study demands more in-depth and independent study.