Visit our website for more information on fees, scholarships, postgraduate loans and other funding options to study Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at Swansea University - 'Welsh University of the Year 2017' (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017).
The MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is offered by specialists in the field of Applied Linguistics.
Swansea University has one of the longest established Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) training and education centres in the UK and is internationally known for excellence in vocabulary research. Currently staff expertise exists in corpus linguistics, computer assisted language learning and stylistics. Internationally recruited staff offer a wide range of relevant experience and contacts across countries and continents as well as different levels of kinds of education. The MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is intended for those who have already begun to develop an informed interest or have some previous training or relevant experience in the field.
El Gazette ranked the Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics at Swansea, top for world class research in English Language.
Students enrolled on the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) programme will benefit from the College of Arts and Humanities' Graduate Centre. The Graduate Centre fosters and supports individual and collaborative research activity of international excellence and offers a vibrant and supportive environment for students pursuing postgraduate research and taught Master's study. The Centre provides postgraduate training to enhance academic and professional development and facilitates participation in seminar programmes, workshops and international conferences.
The MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) has two parts: a taught component and either a dissertation or practical teaching of English language classes.
TESOL students following the practical route will be supported, observed and assessed teaching English. They are also required to produce a portfolio of teaching and testing materials. This route would be indicated on the final MA certificate.
- The MA TESOL is a one-year full time, campus-based programme designed to give (prospective) teachers of English as a foreign/second language a thorough understanding of current theories, trends, and cutting edge applied linguistics research relevant for language teaching.
- The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) programme also aims to stimulate reflection on students’ own teaching practices.
- TESOL students are assessed through a range of assessments, including essays, data analysis projects, group projects, and in-class
- TESOL students with some experience in language teaching and/or some formal background in linguistics are likely to benefit most from the programme.
Modules on the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) programme typically include:
• Vocabulary: Teaching and Learning
• Describing English
• Discourse Analysis for ELT
• Communicative Language Teaching
• Second Language Acquisition
• Young Language Learners
• Research Methods for ELT
• Language Testing and Assessment
- Prospective students interested in teaching English as a foreign or second language.
- Prospective students who have experience of teaching English as a second or foreign language, or who have some previous training or relevant work experience in the field.
- Prospective students who wish to gain academic training in applied linguistics, in preparation for advanced academic degrees (e.g., MPhil, PhD) in applied linguistics or related disciplines.
Graduates from the MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at Swansea can expect to pursue careers in ESL and EFL teaching, teacher training, material development, international education, publishing, and in a wide range of international settings requiring in-depth understanding of language learning, teaching, and research.
“Studying abroad has always been one of my dreams. My friends have always told me that the period studying as a student is the most enjoyable time in life. I didn't really believe it till I started my MA course at the Swansea University. The course in Teaching English As a Foreign Language (TEFL, now TESOL) helped me to deepen my knowledge in that field. All of the lecturers I had a chance to meet were really helpful, motivating and friendly. They were professional and possessed a great knowledge of what they teach. The modules offered include theory as well as practice. The facilities provided by the University, such as computer rooms and the library were great as well and well equipped. I really regret that the time I spent in Swansea is now over. It was a great experience for me and gave me a chance to meet and make friends with many people from all over the world.”
Anna Marie Poczta, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), MA
Whether you are a new or experienced teacher, this dynamic programme’s challenging combination of theory and practice will provide you with the essential language teaching skills you need to teach English to speakers of other languages.
Designed primarily for EFL, ESL and TESOL teachers, teacher trainers, head teachers and materials/curriculum/policy designers, it allows you to upgrade your knowledge of language, methodology and curriculum design, and shows you how to focus on the needs of the learner.
You will learn to design, implement and evaluate substantial research or development tasks, and adapt your planning and teaching approaches to changing contexts and circumstances.
You will graduate with greater professional knowledge and enhanced confidence in your ability to teach the English language to any student.
For the MSc you will complete three compulsory courses and two option courses, plus a dissertation. The PgDip and PgCert comprise similar combinations of compulsory and optional courses.
Option courses may include (note: not all options run every year):
This qualification can lead to a variety of roles in the TESOL field such as:
The MSc is a good introduction to an advanced research degree. You will also develop a range of highly transferable skills, such as communication and professional skills, which can be applied to roles in any field.