There are two main research groups in the Department, The Sustainable Built Environment Research Group (SBERG) which includes Sustainable Landscapes and AVATAR (Advanced Virtual and Technological Architectural Research) which also includes research in graphic and digital design. Typically, students initially register for the MPhil. After approximately 12 to 18 months, students submit a comprehensive transfer report in order to be considered for transfer to PhD. If the transfer report and viva are accepted, the student is permitted to continue to completion of the PhD.
MPhil/PhD opportunities are available across the range of activities within the Department but generally students should select topics in areas covered by the research areas.
The Department is based in a new state of the art building designed by the award winning architects Heneghan Peng; it is equipped with fourteen rooftop landscapes, cutting edge digital workshops, extensive design studios, a world-class library and two gallery spaces.
Our building is located in the heart of Greenwich, the newest addition to a suite of magnificent buildings that occupy the UNESCO World Heritage site and the location of the Greenwich Prime Meridian.
Recent research project topics include:
- The impact of climate change in the UK on business organisations
- Community resiliance to extreme weather
- The use of sensor technology, artificial intelligence and wireless communications in the assessment of an oil pipeline's maintenance needs
- GIS-based space planning for Ho Chi Minh City
- Sustainable Landscape Planting in the Negev Desert
- Corporate Governance Mechanisms and the Impact on Corporate Performance: Empirical Studies of China's Listed Real Estate Companies
- AVATAR investigates the full range of impacts for emerging and new technologies on architectural designs and encourages a critical mix of cultural, aesthetic and social agendas through design.
The aims of the programme are:
- To achieve a research degree on the basis of a rigorous, organised and fulfilling programme of research study
- To develop high level transferable skills and knowledge that will be in demand by the academic community, business and industry; depending on the nature of the research
- To make a contribution to knowledge, advance business practice, influence policy or set standards in the wider community.
Visit the website http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/courses/pg/res/arcres
What you'll study
- Sustainable Buildings
- Sustainable Environments
- Sustainable Landscapes
- Graphic and Digital Design
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
- Postgraduate finance pages (http://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/pg
- International students' finance pages (http://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/international
Students are assessed through a thesis and an oral examination.
This programme offers students a wide range of career opportunities in industry, government and academia.
Find out about the teaching and learning outcomes here - http://www2.gre.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/644034/MSc-in-Property-or-Construction-by-Research.pdf