On this master’s degree you will learn to understand accounting and financial information, analyse problems and participate in management decision making. In this intensive programme we cover financial accounting, management accounting and corporate finance. A Research Project allows you to develop a deeper knowledge in an area of interest.
You will develop the all-round capabilities needed to be a successful accounting or finance professional. These include teamworking, problem solving and communication, research and analytical skills.
MSc Accounting and Finance is designed for those wishing to develop a career in the sector and applicants with prior accounting experience are eligible to apply.
See the website http://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/accounting-and-finance/
Why choose this course?
- Employability: Graduates have gone on to work in prestigious organisations and whether you are seeking career in accounting, finance or a general business career, this programme will give you a deeper understanding of accounting and finance issues and more flexibility in your career choices. On the practical side our Careers Centre offers support in developing your CV and interview skills, and provides regularly updated job vacancy information.
- Professional accreditation and links: On completion of the programme, you will be eligible to apply for up to seven exemptions from the exams of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), a professional qualification recognised worldwide. We have a strong strategic relationship with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and have links with other professional accounting bodies and accounting firms.
- Teaching and learning: You will be taught in supportive atmosphere with small interactive groups so you can learn from and bond with your classmates and lecturers. Teaching staff have extensive professional experience and are able to provide practical insight and commercial understanding. Furthermore, prestigious guest speakers such as Professor George Magnus, Senior Economic Advisor to UBS and Financial Times Columnist, come and speak to you about the industry. We have a track record of excellence in teaching, learning and research and our business school received the top award from the Higher Education Funding council for England to become a Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- Student support: As a student you will be assigned to an Academic Adviser who will provide both academic and personal support. Student Support Co-ordinators provide guidance for your course and university-wide administrative issues. They organise a range of events to help you adjust to postgraduate study and are able to help you get advice about any issues you may have during your studies.
- Oxford Location: Oxford offers everything you could want as a student and more. As one of the world's great centres of learning, it is a bustling and stunning cosmopolitan city full of history and beautiful buildings. Located just over an hour from the hub of business life in London with easy access to international airports, you'll be at the heart of the UK's most successful economic region. Oxford will provide you with a host of learning and employment opportunities with a range of internships and graduate jobs available.
Teaching and learning
Much of the teaching takes place in interactive workshops. In addition, lectures, discussions, role-play exercises and seminars are linked with selected case studies and assessments to strengthen your practical analysis and decision-making skills. You will develop your teamworking skills through structured group assignments.
Teaching staff from the Business School have in-depth knowledge of accounting practices and issues through practical experience or academic research. Visiting speakers from business and research bodies provide further input.
This is an intensive programme and you will have two taught classes each week for each module.
Approach to assessment
Assessment will include a range of activities including examinations, case studies, reports, presentations and group projects.
Our Business School Postgraduate Centre at Wheatley Campus has a state-of-the-art lecture theatre, well equipped seminar rooms and a postgraduate lounge and private study area.
The Wheatley Campus library provides specialist business resources including 1,000 sets of UK and overseas companies' annual reports, statistics on all aspects of business and management, postgraduate theses in business and management and business examination papers.
We also offer the International Business in Practice - Study Trip. The purpose of this Study Trip Module is to give postgraduate students a hands-on, intensive experience with the ideas and practices of global business. The programme will include presentations from local management executives and experts. Students will have direct interaction with management executives and practices through site visits to major corporations and agencies.
In the past students travelled to Boston, USA. This self-funded trip included visits to Harvard University, MIT, Reebok, Ocean Spray, Federal Reserve Bank, and State Street.
Classes are timetabled throughout the week and not every week will be the same.
How this course helps you develop
This course helps you develop both academically and professionally, and provides you with a route into the accounting or finance profession.
It offers an opportunity to create global business links with fellow students, teaching staff and professionals. You will develop vital skills such as digital literacy, communication, presentation and team working.
Our students are attractive to employers both in the UK and internationally and have gone to work in prestigious corporations such as Apple (on the Leadership Programme), Proctor & Gamble, IBM and Wolseley Group.
Others have joined accounting practices such as KPMG, PwC and Deloittes and some are working in financial institutions such as Citibank, HSBC and Accenture. We also have graduates working in the third sector organisations such as Cancer Research.
Free language courses for students - the Open Module
Free language courses are available to full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students on many of our courses, and can be taken as a credit on some courses.
Please note that the free language courses are not available if you are:
- studying at a Brookes partner college
- studying on any of our teacher education courses or postgraduate education courses.
The main focus of research within the department of Accounting, Finance and Economics within the Business School is on how accountability is achieved, explored from both theoretical and practical perspectives and encompassing a range of disciplinary and methodological approaches.
Research areas and clusters
Research in this department is grouped around four clusters, Accounting, Accountability and Responsibility, Applied microeconomics, Applied Macro, Public and Financial Economics, and Development and Environmental Economics.