This unique postgraduate programme seeks to educate medical doctors, chartered physiotherapists and osteopaths in the field of sport and exercise medicine. During the programme you will be lectured by highly qualified experts in sport and exercise medicine and sport and exercise science on the latest academic and practical developments in the field. The postgraduate programme provides students with a wide breadth of knowledge across sport and exercise medicine and the necessary skills to apply theory into practice.
Due to the popularity of this programme you should submit your application at the earliest opportunity, and at the very latest by 30th June. Applications received after this date will only be considered if the programme has not reached full capacity.
See the website https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/schoolofsport/courses/Pages/Sport-and-Exercise-Medicine.aspx
The programme provides doctors, physiotherapists and osteopaths interested in sport and exercise medicine with:
- The necessary scientific background knowledge to appreciate the issues arising in the field of sport and exercise medicine.
- Up-to-date training in modern methods of diagnosing and treating sports injuries, including emergency care.
- The necessary skills and knowledge to provide advice on the prevention of sports injuries.
- An introduction to research appropriate to the field of sport and exercise medicine.
- Opportunities to learn about the theory and application of sport and exercise science in a sporting context
- The opportunity to build upon previous research experience.
- An opportunity to undertake a piece of discipline related research activity as exemplified by the dissertation project.
- The full time course will include attachments to sporting teams for the student to gain experience and insight into working within a multidisciplinary team in a high-level sporting environment.
Both the full and part time programmes follow a modular framework; the five core modules, which will be taught during the residential phases are listed below with additional information for each viewed in the PDF:
- SSP7057 – Sports Injuries and Clinical Methods
- SSP7058 – Sport and Exercise Medicine I
- SSP7054 – Sport and Exercise Science
- SSP7055 – Sport and Exercise Medicine I
- SSP7058 – Research Process
Students successfully progressing through the taught course onto MSc will be expected to conduct an original piece of research (6,500 – 8,000 words or equivalent) on an aspect of applied sport and exercise medicine. They will be assigned a tutor to support them in their research.
Learning & Teaching
Teaching and learning methods will include workshops, lectures, clinical assessments, student presentations and individual study. Clinical skills will be taught in small groups with students required to participate as patients, examiners and examinees. Students will be able to access remotely all lectures via a virtual learning environment; internet and online search facilities can be accessed via the university learning resources web page.
Participation in a clinical placement in sport and exercise medicine environment/sports injuries clinic; delivery from a wide range of professionals involved in sport and exercise medicine and sport and exercise science, and the opportunity to work with fellow professionals who are involved in supporting elite performers at national and international level will also be offered as part of the programme.
All modules will be assessed by coursework and the clinical attachment will be assessed by a viva voce examination. Clinical competence will be assessed via an objective structured clinical experience (OSCE).
Employability & Careers
This programme is for medical doctors; chartered physiotherapists and osteopaths who want to develop their expertise in sport and exercise medicine. It offers unique opportunities to work in multidisciplinary teams to gain improved understanding of all other disciplines within sport and exercise medicine.
Find information on Scholarships here https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/scholarships
Find out how to apply here https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/howtoapply