In this three-semester Master's programme you will strengthen your academic understanding of International Humanitarian Action. You will also acquire practical skills for working in the area of humanitarian aid, such as policy-making.
The programme is an international Erasmus Mundus Master's programme. It is offered by nine European universities, namely in the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Ireland, Belgium and France. These universities are united in the Network on Humanitarian Action (NOHA).
In this programme you will learn to evaluate humanitarian emergencies. You will study the causes of conflicts and different coping strategies for conflicts and disasters. In addition, you will learn to plan and assess intervention and reconstruction programmes. Also, you will acquire practical skills such as management skills and cross-cultural communication skills.
You will take courses such as Geopolitics in Humanitarian Action and Comprehensive Security and Disaster Analysis. You will do a career-oriented internship in a humanitarian organization and write a thesis.
Why in Groningen?
- Erasmus Mundus Master of Excellence with double degree awards
- Erasmus Mundus scholarships
- Unique, multilingual, interdisciplinary and interuniversity programme
- Consortium of several European universities
- Unique combination of hands-on practice and theory
- Career-oriented internship in humanitarian organizations
This programme prepares you for an international career. Most graduates work in the field of humanitarian action and international cooperation as representatives of intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations. They also work as managers, fundraisers, policymakers and researchers.
- Manager non-profit organization