Visit our website for more information on fees, scholarships, postgraduate loans and other funding options to study Leadership for the Health Professions at Swansea University - 'Welsh University of the Year 2017' (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017).
The Leadership for the Health Professions course is suitable for doctors, nurses, academic staff and other health professionals at all stages of their career (including trainees) with a leadership or management role or those aspiring to one.
The Leadership for the Health Professions is a modular programme and can be taken as a separate Postgraduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma as well as a full Master level qualification. It has been designed specifically for busy working professionals combining face to face contact days supplemented by online learning and tutor, mentor and peer support. The campus-based course is delivered in Swansea and Leicester.
This unique interprofessional, multi-level, leadership development programme has been designed primarily for health professionals actively working in healthcare, education, research or management. The Leadership for the Health Professions programme will enable you to:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of leadership and management theory grounded in policy, strategy and practice together with the core skills of critical analysis, evaluation, creative and reflective thinking and writing
- Conduct research into and evaluate your own leadership practice
- Promote interprofessional collaboration and understanding of leadership and management across a range of health professions
- Develop increased personal effectiveness; work more effectively with teams and groups; lead and manage change and understand organisations and systems
- Meet the needs of health boards and other organisations in developing the leaders of today and tomorrow
Modules on the Leadership for the Health Professions programme typically include:
• Leadership in practice
• Understanding organisations, systems and services
• Developing yourself as a leader and managing performance
• The 'Learning' Organisation, Groups and Teams
• Developing leadership, innovation and change
• Mentoring and Supervision
The Medical School offers the following the M Level modules for the Leadership for the Health Professions programme as standalone opportunities for prospective students to undertake continued professional development (CPD) in the area of clinical and educational leadership:
PMLM10 Contemporary issues in health professions leadership (15 Credits)
PMLM11 Understanding organisations, systems and services (15 Credits)
PMLM12 Developing yourself as a leader and managing performance (30 Credits)
PMLM13 The learning organisations, teams and groups (15 Credits)
PMLM14 Developing leadership, innovation and change (30 Credits)
You can enroll on any of the modules as either an Associate Student (who will be required to complete the module(s) assessments) or as a Non-Associate Student (who can attend all teaching sessions but will not be required to complete any assessments).
For information and advice on applying for any of the continuing education opportunities, please contact the College directly at [email protected].
Postgraduate study has many benefits, including enhanced employability, career progression, intellectual reward and the opportunity to change direction with a conversion course.
From the moment you arrive in Swansea, specialist staff in Careers and Employability will help you plan and prepare for your future. They will help you identify and develop skills that will enable you to make the most of your postgraduate degree and enhance your career options. The services they offer will ensure that you have the best possible chance of success in the job market.
The student experience at Swansea University offers a wide range of opportunities for personal and professional development through involvement in many aspects of student life.
Co-curricular opportunities to develop employability skills include national and international work experience and study abroad programmes and volunteering, together with students' union and athletic union societies, social and leisure activities.
Visit our website for more information on fees, scholarships, postgraduate loans and other funding options to study Leadership for the Health Professions (Distance Learning) at Swansea University - 'Welsh University of the Year 2017' (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017).
The Leadership for the Health Professions (Distance Learning) is a part time course that will suit you if you are a teacher, researcher, doctor, nurse or other health professional at any stage of your career (including trainees) and you have a leadership or management role or aspire to one.
The Leadership for the Health Professions (Distance Learning) programme is a modular, flexible interprofessional programme which has been designed specifically for busy professionals as an online, distance learning programme in order to enable students across the world to develop their leadership and management skills and understanding. There are two entry points each year in September and January. The Leadership for the Health Professions (Distance Learning) course is delivered primarily using the BlackBoard online learning platform and you will need access to good wifi or broadband in order to fully engage with the multimedia course materials.
The Leadership for the Health Professions (Distance Learning) programme provides theoretical and practical leadership development, focussing on developing understanding of leadership and management at three levels: the intrapersonal (understanding yourself and developing yourself as a leader), the interpersonal (working with and leading others, groups and teams) and the organisational/system level (looking at complexity and change). Our approach to leadership development aims to provide you with a broad-based theoretical and conceptual framework which you can use to apply to your own, others and organisational leadership and management practical situations. We take a unique, case study approach where we consider all aspects of health professionals’ activities from a leadership and management perspective. You can register for the full master’s course, for the PGDip or PGCert levels or for individual modules as an Associate student.
The Leadership for the Health Professions (Distance Learning) course offers the following modules:
• PML700 Leadership in Practice (15 Credits)
• PML701 Understanding organisations, systems and services (15 Credits)
• PML702 Developing yourself as a leader and managing performance (30 Credits)
• PML703 The learning organisations, teams and groups (15 Credits)
• PML704 Developing leadership, innovation and change (30 Credits)
• PM707 Professional development in practice (15 Credits)
• PML705 Dissertation (report on a primary piece of research or critical literature review) or work-based reflective Portfolio module (60 Credits)