About the Course
1. Big Challenges being addressed by this programme – motivation
• Globally, there is a reported shortage of data analytics talent, particularly of individuals with the required deep technical and analytical skills.
• Accenture, Gartner and McKinsey have all identified Data Analytics as one of the fastest growing employment areas in computing and one most likely to make an impact in the future.
• The Irish Government’s policy is for Ireland to become a leading country in Europe for big data and analytics, which would result in 21,000 potential new employment opportunities in Ireland alone.
• CNN has listed jobs in this area in their Top 10 best new jobs in America.
2. Programme objectives & purpose
This is an advanced programme that provides Computing graduates with advanced knowledge and skills in the emerging growth area of Data Analytics. It includes advanced topics such as Large-Scale Data Analytics, Information Retrieval, Advanced Topics in Machine Learning and Data Mining, Natural Language Processing, Data Visualisation and Web-Mining. It also includes foundational modules in topics such as Statistics, Regression Analysis and Programming for Data Analytics. Students on the programme further deepen their knowledge of Data Analytics by working on a project either in conjunction with a research group or with an industry partner.
Graduates will be excellently qualified to pursue careers in national and multinational industries in a wide range of areas. Our graduates currently work for companies as diverse as IBM, SAP, Cisco, Avaya, Google, Fujitsu and Merck Pharmaceuticals as well as many specialised companies and startups. Opportunities will be found in:
• Multinational companies, in Ireland and elsewhere, that provide services and solutions for analytics and big data or whose business depend on analytics and big data technologies;
• Innovative small to medium-sized companies and leading-edge start-ups who provide analytics solutions, services and products or use data analytics to develop competitive advantage
• Companies looking to extend their research and development units with highly trained data analytic specialists
• PhD-level research in NUI Galway, elsewhere in Ireland, or abroad
3. What’s special about CoEI/NUIG in this area:
• The MSc in Computer Science (Data Analytics) is being delivered by the Discipline of Information Technology in collaboration with the Insight Centre for Data Analytics (http://insight-centre.org) and with input from the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Applied Mathematics in NUI Galway
• The Discipline of Information Technology at NUI Galway has 25-year track record of education, academic research, and industry collaboration in the field of Computer Science
• The Insight centre at NUI Galway is Europe’s largest research centre for Data Analytics
4. Programme Structure – ECTS weights and split over semester; core/elective, etc.:
• 90ECTS programme
• one full year in duration, beginning September and finishing August
- Foundational taught modules (20 ECTS)
- Advanced taught modules (40 ECTS)
- Research/Industry Project (30 ECTS).
5. Programme Content – module names
Sample Foundational Modules:
• Tools and Techniques for Large Scale Data Analytics
• Programming for Data Analytics
• Machine Learning and Data Mining
• Modern Information Management
• Probability and Statistics
• Discrete Mathematics
• Applied Regression Models
• Digital Signal Processing
Sample Advanced Modules:
• Advanced Topics in Machine Learning and Information Retrieval
• Web Mining and Analytics
• Systems Modelling and Simulation
• Natural Language Processing
• Data Visualisation
• Linked Data Analytics
• Case Studies in Data Analytics
• Embedded Signal Analysis and Processing
Ms. Gofran Shukair, MSc, Research Engineer at ZenDesk, Ireland
After graduating with an MSc at NUI Galway, Gofran worked with Fujitsu’s Irish Research Lab as a research engineer before moving to a software engineering position at Zendesk, Ireland.
“The mix of technical and soft skills I gained through my Masters studies at NUI Galway is invaluable. I had the chance to work with great people and to apply my work on real world problems. With the data management and analysis skills I gained, I am currently pursuing my research in an international research project with one of the leading IT companies. I will be always thankful for studying at NUI Galway, a great historic place based in a culturally-rich vibrant city with an international mix of young and ambitious students that made me eager to learn and contribute back the moment I graduated.”
For further details
How to Apply:
Applications are made online via the Postgraduate Applications Centre (PAC) https://www.pac.ie
Please use the following PAC application code for your programme:
M.Sc. Computer Science – Data Analytics - PAC code GYE06
Please visit our website for more information on scholarships: http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering-informatics/internationalpostgraduatestudents/feesandscholarships/
Visit the M.Sc. Computer Science – Data Analytics page on the National University of Ireland, Galway web site for more details!